Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Lets Play Whats This MD Or The Other On A 1958 P Opinions Welcome With Logic As A Base Please

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 440Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
77 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  07:09 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Spencerj72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
seems like we were just here doing this very thing lets try again before commenting on it please take the time to look just know your not looking at the top of the lettering this coin is doubled left to right excluding Liberty which is north to south

look inside the B R of liberty look inszide the G on the down bar oposite the lower serif and down a hair you can see the lower serif of the outside G at the higher part of the down bar you can see the top end coming into it look at the IN the I has a twin pretty sure this doesn't happen with MD look aaat the doubling on TRUSTthi isn't MD and if it is please feel free to show me examples containing complete seperation with notching and split serifs thanks

Bedrock of the Community
United States
42814 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  09:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64374 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks pretty normal to me.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5395 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
563 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  3:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No doubling at all. Not even md. Don't know what the black marks are in your pictures are but get rid of them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7665 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  4:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think what is happening here is the common mistake many people make nowadays since microscopes are a dime a dozen.

Forums nowadays are much more busy with posts such as this one. You are looking way too hard to try to find something on a coin that is showing all the signs of the minor non collected imperfections the minting process produces, and always has resulted in: The kind of imperfections that were always there before inexpensive microscopes and went unnoticed.

When magnification of this level is used, Pareidolia comes into play and we see all sorts of things.

Take a step back and think about legitimate coin errors people will pay money for.

These errors are not the ones you need a microscope to see. A money-worthy DDO or DDR needs little is any magnification if a person has good eyes. A 3X loupe easily shows any money-worthy DDO DDR.

Save Yourself time, effort, and disappointment...don't learn the coin hobby backwards.

Looking for random anomalies on coins and hoping they match up to something collectable will take you a lot more time, wasted effort, and disappointment repeatedly finding out you have nothing but post mint damage.

Spend some initial time at places like error-ref.com, doubleddie.com, varietyvista.com, conecaonline.org, coppercoins.com etc. to find what actual and collectable coin errors look like.

A good way to start is, for instance, separate a bunch of pennies by date. Go to varietyvista.com and, date by date, use the reference there to see what errors are known for that specific coin/mint mark. Look for those specific errors/varieties using the pictures provided. After doing this for awhile you will KNOW what an actual error looks like and not have to waste time on face value and damaged coins.
How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
United States
46 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2021  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add The Detectorist to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice clear concise reply Earle42! I for one (being a newbie) had to take a step back...I bought a coin microscope and also started looking through coins from some bank rolls and started seeing coin anomalies that I thought were errors but weren't. Since then I have spent a lot of my spare time on this site reading the Numismatic Glossary and here on this portion of the forum just looking at the posts, seeing the observations, and trying to take an objective consideration to the replies you guys give. I will have to admit some of the guys here on the forum are pretty brutal with their replies but sometimes the truth hurts. I guess what I am trying to say is that there is a responsibility to both parties...the inexperienced person who is trying to learn and the experts that seem to have the all the answers...the newbie needs to try to do as much research as possible to ask legitimate questions and the experts need to take into consideration that they were not always an expert and someone had to teach them at one time or another. If the truth be told we will all continue to learn no matter how much we think we really know...
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  12:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Journeylove to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Amen
Valued Member
United States
483 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  01:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Normal Lincoln Cent, nothing else.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7665 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Detectorist said:

Quote:
If the truth be told we will all continue to learn no matter how much we think we really know...

AGreed b/c as soon as we think we know everything we need to know...we may as well be back at square one again.
How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Pillar of the Community
United States
8202 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Was there an answer as to what the black spots are? They look like little bugs.
ša va bien aller

United States
46 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add The Detectorist to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Earle42....very true!

@Merclover...My guess would be its something on his microscope lens...
United States
41 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2021  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tenring to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@Merclover...My guess would be its something on his microscope lens...

That was my thought, like dust or dirt particles.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 440Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: