Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2005-P Western Waters Jefferson Nickel With A Damaged Rim

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 322Next Topic  

South Africa
6 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  11:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wulff Nuts to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi All me again, please feel free to tell me if you think I am abusing the forum , I have many coins to go through and will be depending alot on the advise that I get from here. I try my best to allow the pictures to speak for them selves to minimise any frustration with incorrect terminoligy. This coin has had a knock on the rim, from my engineering background what I can see is damage is mechanical and has been exposed to some severe force for it take the form it has. I cant imagine that this would have happened in the hands of the public. I am assuming that this would have happened in the mint.... I am not familuar with the minting process so I am just going on an assumption. Thanks again

Valued Member
United States
483 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2021  11:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bumpkin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum. You are correct about one thing. Your coin has definitely experienced a severe force that caused the damage you are seeing. The force that caused this damage did not happen at the mint or during the striking process. This is Post Mint Damage ( PMD). There's no telling what or how this happened but it did not happen until after it left the mint.
Pillar of the Community
United States
570 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  12:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
South Africa
6 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  12:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wulff Nuts to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the responce Bumpkin

These coins are really pushed to there limits once let out into the wild. I am not even going to try and ponder on what could have possibbly happened here. It was however a brutal moment for that coin !!
Learn More...
United States
22026 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  06:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@wn, first welcome to CCF. Second, with regard to your comment

Quote:
please feel free to tell me if you think I am abusing the forum

You are all good. We love questions here.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
6781 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2021  07:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, post-strike damage. If coins could talk...
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 322Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: