Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1865 Three Cent Nickel For Thoughts

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 234Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1132 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2021  11:29 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I think this is A attractive example. Not graded but strike looks a little weak.

Edited by JasonKflo
12/05/2021 12:45 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
5757 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  03:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Weakest strike I've seen for this type. Looks MS with intact luster, few contact marks, and no obvious die clashes. The weak strike precludes any grade over 65. I'd venture MS-64 as a technical grade, with perhaps MS-63 as an appropriate market-grade.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10217 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  07:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think MS64 seems reasonable. Maybe struck on a tapered planchet.
1883-O Nut
Valued Member
United States
456 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  08:51 am  Show Profile   Check pristine2's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add pristine2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are tricky and it can be difficult to distinguish a soft strike from high-point wear, especially when both appear on the same coin.

While the missing details on the columns and denticles are almost certainly due to a soft strike, I'm less sure about all that flatness in the hair above the brow on the obverse. That could be wear in the hair bun, too.

I'd have to go with AU-58.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
11224 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  08:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i'd say all of this is from strike. I agree with Jaobler that it precludes it from MS65. MS64
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
64437 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm at MS-64 as well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8609 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2021  1:54 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS63 though I can see the case for MS64 also.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, C4, & NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
12/05/2021 1:54 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 234Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: