Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1883 Washington Headquarters Medal

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 403Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
225 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2021  6:29 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BGLI to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just acquired this beautiful Washington Headquarters 1883 medal. I believe this is the HK 134 bronze. I have seen many of the small and thin white metal examples with holes but those are smaller. I have only seen one or two of these large bronze or maybe coppers certified and my example looks very mint state. Do you think its worth sending to NGC for certification? Excited to own this as I have a connection growing up near the Washington HQ in NY. thanks all for your thoughts.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7515 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2021  7:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very attractive medal! Nice strike and well-preserved!

Can you provide more details on the greenish discolorations on the HQ side of the medal? Close-up images?

The piece might need professional conservation before being graded/encapsulated.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67598 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2021  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, now is the time to conserve this fine piece.
Valued Member
United States
225 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2021  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BGLI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Commems and Coinfrog- thanks for the quick reply and I trust your opinion. I tried for closeup pic but doesn't show that area any better. Could it be pvc damage or old adhesive?and do you think NGC could conserve it without getting a detail result? What would NGC charge for this? What grade would you estimate and any idea of value? Last question- is it worth conserving and getting slabbed? Thanks!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10279 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2021  9:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a wonderful medal. I would get it graded but before sending in have it conserved. I never had a grading company conserve a coin or medal but it might be worth it unless you do it properly yourself.
There's no hurry, do the right thing the right way.
I just see some grime that would probably "lift" off with careful proper soaking and proper rinse and dry.
NO RUBBING ALLOWED!

From the So-Called Dollars website:
so-calleddollars.com

Quote:
Obv. Edifice in center; above, around Celebration at Newburgh, N. Y. / October 18th; below edifice, microscopic A. Demarest, Sc. N. Y.; upper border legend 1783 -- Centennial -- 1883; lower border legend Proclamation of peace, disbandment of the army
Rev. Coat of Arms in center; around He was most nobly crowned by refusing to be crowned; 13 stars around last lettering; border legend Washington's family coat of arms from which the American flag was designed

HK-134 Bronze. 41mm. Baker R-456A.
HK-135 White Metal. Baker R-456.
HK-135a Copper-plated.
HK-135b Silver.
VALLEY FORGE CENTENNIAL
VALLEY FORGE, PA

Medal commemorates 100th anniversary of departure of Continental Army from Valley Forge June 19, 1778. Authorized by 45th Congress, designed and engraved by William Barber, it was struck originally in 1880 at Philadelphia Mint; became one of Mint Medal Series (Miscellaneous No. 4).

Today, Valley Forge National Historical Park, 3,500 acres located 22 miles northwest of Philadelphia, preserves site of George Washington's encampment during bitter Winter of 1777-1778. Of 11,000 soldiers, almost 3,000 were incapacitated before Continental Army moved out to battle. Here in Park are restored soldier's huts, redoubts, field hospital and Washington's Headquarters. Later structures include Memorial Chapel, Cloister of Colonies, Peace Carillon, Museum of American History and Bell Tower of Daughters of the American Revolution.

NOTE: For additional Valley Forge anniversary medals, see Part I, Revolutionary War Battles--Anniversaries, Headquarters, etc.-- 1877-1903.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Learn More...
United States
112066 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7515 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2021  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just to give another perspective...

I have sent multiple coins and medals to NGC for them to conserve prior to them grading the pieces - worked out well every time.

Quote:
Could it be pvc damage or old adhesive?

Potential PVC residue was my concern.

Quote:
Do you think NGC could conserve it without getting a detail result?

Yes. If NGC doesn't believe it can conserve a piece w/o causing harm to it, they will return it untouched. I have firsthand experience with this. That said, if the medal's surface is already damaged, NGC won't be able to "fix" it.

Quote:
What would NGC charge for this?

Check the NGC web site for the details. It's the best source of information about what services they offer and at what cost.

Quote:
Is it worth conserving and getting slabbed

Your cost will likely total more than $60 once everything is factored in - conservation, grading/encapsulation, postage both ways, etc. Scarce and nicely preserved Washingtonia pieces can bring hundreds of dollars - you'll need to decide at what point having it conserved and graded make sense. It's not a simple Yes/No question.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Valued Member
United States
225 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2022  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BGLI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the helpful tips and I sent this into NGC today for professional conservation and grading. Not sure it makes financial sense with the cost to grade but I really like this medal and it deserves to be properly conserved and protected. It was my first NGC submission and hope I did it correctly. I'll post the graded coin when it comes back. Thanks all.
Valued Member
United States
225 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2022  12:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BGLI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Update: I sent this beautiful medal for certification and it came back an MS 66. I think it may be the only 66 but I need to confirm that. Very pleased I decided to get this certified. A stunning coin. Thanks Commems, Coinfrog, TNG and Jbuck for encouraging me to have it certified.

Learn More...
United States
112066 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7515 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2022  1:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@BGLI: I'm happy to see it all work out for you. It's a terrific medal!

Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 403Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: