Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Steel/Zinc Pennies From My Dad

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 1,011Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2021  08:23 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add KoinKorny to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just showing off the steel wheaties my Dad gave me a few years back. He collected them when he returned home from serving in WWII. Pulling them from circulation and putting them in a jar as he found them in change. Over 100 of them including a few "D"s and one "S", all are in VG+ condition except for the grey tarnish. Thanks Dad :-)
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45121 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2021  08:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you going to check them for errors and varieties?Also, don't forget that a lot of the steelies were re-plated that makes them PMD.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2021  08:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KoinKorny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are the way he got them from 1944-47, he got married in 1947 and didn't bother with coins anymore. I bought a set from Littleton Coin Co. that look like silver, I'm afraid that is what they did to them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8515 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2021  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice pile. There may be some varieties and errors. Cool die cracks are not terribly uncommon.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
68883 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2021  08:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice-looking stash!

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5512 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2021  09:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome. Having an old original stash like that is the way to find some in really good condition. And just because some are grey isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2021  09:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KoinKorny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the idea "John1" I went to the net and found a video describing the varieties to look for in all three mints. I'll get out my coin magnifier and start snooping.

Thanks to all the other replies :-)
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45121 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2021  10:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2021  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KoinKorny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks "John1", those sites will be very helpful :-)
Valued Member
United States
60 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2021  1:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T_F_F to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coins! Good to see other new members here :-)
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17958 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2021  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool little collection and a family treasure! Keep those well protected from air and moisture, use at least 2 ziplock freezer bags and a couple packets of desiccant.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9050 Posts
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2021  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KoinKorny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found 2 of them with hairline die cracks, trying to get a clear photo with the light showing them. Might take me awhile but I'm working on it.
I have a few with what I found out to be worn dies, the 43 looks doubled or kinda smeared.
Edited by KoinKorny
12/23/2021 9:56 pm
Valued Member
United States
65 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2021  01:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tenring to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Cool little collection and a family treasure! Keep those well protected from air and moisture, use at least 2 ziplock freezer bags and a couple packets of desiccant.

Good advice above.

Nice story of how your Dad collected them. Being a WW2 vet, these obviously held some significance for him.
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2021  08:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KoinKorny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are two of the closeups I worked on.
I thought I would work on them now as the Holidays
are going to be busy. The hairline die crack goes across
Lincoln's arm and through the V in VDB to the rim.
After looking at the macro of the 43 on the other coin, I also
noticed the RTY of LIBERTY is doubled/smeared too.
Pretty cool finds after being in a jar for over 75 years.

Edited by KoinKorny
12/24/2021 08:11 am
Learn More...
United States
113516 Posts
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 1,011Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: