Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Need Help Finding More Information About This Aurelian Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 426Next Topic  

United States
22 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2022  2:11 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add OWE to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm thinking of buying an Aurelian Antoninianus coin but I'm having trouble finding more information about it. The exergue on the reverse is a T, I'd really like to know what the letter means on this coin. The seller said that this coin is a Milian minted coin. It would also be helpful if anyone can give an estimate for the price of this coin.

Valued Member
United Kingdom
415 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2022  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnConduitt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes it would be this:

Aurelian Antoninianus, 270-5, Mediolanum (Milan). Aurelian, radiate, cuirassed, right, IMP AVRELIANVS AVG. Aurelian, standing right, holding sceptre or spear, receiving globe from Jupiter, standing left, holding sceptre, IOVI CONSER (RIC V, 129) http://numismatics.org/ocre/id/ric.5.aur.129

The T is the mintmark, indicating the mint and officina that made it.
Edited by JohnConduitt
01/01/2022 2:35 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4605 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2022  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I concur with the above identification. I see that similar specimens, albeit perhaps in somewhat better condition, have recently sold in a $35-45 range, although I wouldn't presume to endorse those sales as representing a valuation of this particular piece. They may, however, constitute an upper limit on what you might want to pay.

Colligo ergo sum
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2022  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OWE to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The seller is asking $50 so it seems that the pricing is higher but relatively fair
Pillar of the Community
United States
1382 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2022  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The T is for Latin tertius, meaning "third" (workshop). Given the condition, I'd say $25 is closer to 'fair' than $50.
Edited by Kushanshah
01/01/2022 5:48 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
967 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2022  10:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
. Given the condition, I'd say $25 is closer to 'fair'

For $50, I'd want something with better details and silvering.
This is some what I paid for a 3 Antonini lot: I think the Aurelian was a bit much, but the other two made up for it.

Edited by travelcoin
01/02/2022 10:49 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 426Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: