Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canada Nickels "Missing Chrome " Please Explain

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 600Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
258 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2022  9:46 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add westy00 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I see missing chrome as a variety worth big $$ but have not seen pictures,, what to look for ,, Anyone ?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10280 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2022  11:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1944 1945 1951 1952 four different 1953 and a 1954

Here's a link to find values. https://www.coinsandcanada.com
Most of these years normally had a chrome plating I believe, to prohibit rust of the steel core. Look for normal plated issue images and missing chrome pictures and compare the obvious difference in appearance,

https://www.ebay.com/sch/3377/i.htm...ssing+chrome
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Edited by TNG
01/05/2022 11:12 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8835 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2022  12:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A fool and his money.....
I believe ICCS will no longer certify these.
Plating technicians with the right equipment can fabricate them quite readily.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Edited by DBM
01/06/2022 12:04 am
Valued Member
Canada
183 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2022  12:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fefimo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@DBM that would explain why every coin on that eBay link is in a CCCS holder.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4295 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2022  07:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And it looks like BC Coinmart has CCCS examples coming out their ears, all at more than $1000 a pop.

I am being facetious and thinking that they know someone in the "dechroming" business
Edited by okiecoiner
01/06/2022 08:24 am
Valued Member
Canada
487 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2022  07:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Strach-Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are hoping to get BC Coinmart to lower the price for you just a little if you were interested in the coin good luck. I have tried in the pass and failed. I just avoid them.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
14710 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2022  07:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The problem is that if you have a missing chrome nickel, it would be a hard
sell unless it was certified and as DBM stated, Third Party graders will not
certify them anymore. It is too hard to tell the difference between a genuine
coin and one that has had the Chrome plating intentionally removed.
Edited by JimmyD
01/06/2022 07:59 am
Valued Member
Canada
258 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2022  08:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westy00 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My eyes must be bad because I don't see the difference on these ebay pictures.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4295 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2022  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The chrome-plated ones (normal) will be bright and shiny, like old kitchen or sink faucets. No chrome ones will be dull iron/steel surface with no shine. Without the chrome plating, the steel core rusted easy, so any you see with a hint of rust MAY be original no-chrome, but there should be 11' pole marks on any cert'd with fully clean surfaced and circulated.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8835 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2022  10:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The steel sheets were first plated with nickel, then with chrome, just like old car bumpers.
The true "missing chrome" originals were from stock that had received only the nickel plating.
Coins on struck on bare steel are very dubious as anyone with the right chemicals and precautions can simulate these in their kitchen.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 600Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: