Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1981 D Acid Penny, Dryer Penny, Die Adjustment Strike, Or Something Else?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 218Next Topic  

United States
15 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2022  6:22 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CRHunting to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey Everyone,
This is a 1981 D penny that weighs 3.08g so I'm leaning against an acid penny since I think acid would have decreased the weight more substantially. I would have just assumed it was a dryer penny but it has a surprising amount of luster. The images don't really do it justice as the luster in person looks like something you'd expect to see on a MS coin. I guess it's possible the dryer itself could have created some sort of polishing effect.

Either way I thought it might be a fun one to post to the community.

Thanks for your input!

Pillar of the Community
United States
1018 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2022  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Elliot Mitchell
Experienced coin roll hunter with 5+ years in the hobby
My Registry Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/334324/
My IS Type Set: http://goccf.com/t/411655
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/408555
My Ebay Store: https://www.ebay.com/usr/coinhunter...047675.l2559
ANA # 3204217, CONECA # Y-6505
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5446 Posts
Learn More...
United States
22046 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2022  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yikes that one is in pretty tough shape. Not sure of how, but I agree with you that it is definitely damage.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
585 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2022  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rock tumbler.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2366 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2022  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tunnioc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The puffiness is a sure sign it is a dryer coin.

Edit to add, a rock tumbler would be nice and smooth.
Edited by Tunnioc
01/11/2022 8:27 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
585 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2022  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah it is smooth.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5446 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2022  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Edit to add, a rock tumbler would be nice and smooth.

Not if the coin only made it through the first stages of tumbling and didn't get to the polishing stage..
Pillar of the Community
United States
6796 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2022  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All-in-all, the toning is rather nice. Save it as a curiosity.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
42851 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2022  04:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Dearborn. Anyways, PMD.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 218Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: