Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1964 Roosevelt Dime With Numerous Die Breaks-Help Please

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 235Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
191 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2022  10:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mb560600 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Some interesting die breaks on the reverse of this dime: two beginning at the C and two beginning at the R of AMERICA. The breaks progress towards each other. Pre-Cud?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5313 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1380 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2022  12:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Die crack
Bedrock of the Community
United States
42754 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2022  04:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see a minor die crack on the C and no pre-cuds.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
191 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2022  08:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mb560600 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the responses.
Dearborn, I believe you are confirming that there is more than one die crack on the photos I posted. Those originating above and through the R are thin, but they do extend to the interior and appear to meet the bigger cracks extending from the C. That's why I questioned whether this might be an early Pre-Cud.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
55418 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2022  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A Pre-cud is not a single crack on the coin. Usually you have to have two that intersect from rim to rim to have what I call, a retained cud. Usually these show movement of the die out of the normal design. The cracks allow the die to gape on the affected areas.

Note the sliding of the die at this point?

Your coin is in the Basic die crack area. Like Kinder garden level. It has many more coins to strike on order to graduate into the pre-cud (retained cud) club yet)

CoopHome: Is my coin a pre-cud yet?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
01/15/2022 1:39 pm
Valued Member
United States
62 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2022  1:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bugil46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep.
Die Crack
Valued Member
United States
191 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2022  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mb560600 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Coop, I appreciate your response. But even a newbie die event error collector like me knows that a single die crack does not result in the formation of a Pre-Cud. I would not have provided the post if I had not thought there were at least two rim die cracks which intersected with each other.
Tomorrow morning I will provide some better photographs of the areas in question showing the additional die cracks on this dime that I believe are intersecting. It may not be a Pre-Cud, but there are definitely 4 die cracks at issue.
Valued Member
United States
191 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mb560600 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let me start by saying that this is not some significant "die event" find worth some big premium. It is just an interesting coin with what I believe are multiple die breaks. Here are additional images of the reverse of this dime that I believe show the intersection of 4 die breaks/cracks.

Here we see two die breaks, numbered 1 and 2,which begin on the rim above the letter C. The arrows highlight their paths through C, and show how the paths are converging towards each other.

This image shows die breaks 1 and 2 intersecting each other at the triangle marker below the letter C. At a minimum, these two die breaks may be seen as forming a more serious die event, possibly an early retaining cud.
Also, this image shows another die break which intersects with breaks 1 and 2 converging on a line from the right leg of the letter R.

Die break 3 (in red font) and 4 (in blue font) both begin on the rim above the letter R, traveling inward through it. Each of these die breaks converge in the middle of the letter R and travel down the right leg, and continue on a joint path toward die breaks 1 and 2. Number 3 appears to be the more dominant and advanced break of the two.

Quote:
Your coin is in the Basic die crack area. Like Kinder garden level. It has many more coins to strike on order to graduate into the pre-cud (retained cud) club yet)

Coop, could we say that the coin is a bit higher along the die event development toward a retained pre-cud---maybe a high school sophomore or junior?
Thanks all for taking a look.
Valued Member
United States
191 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2022  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mb560600 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all. I posted some additional photos of this dime yesterday that I believe show there are 4 intersecting die cracks. Does anyone disagree?
Thanks for taking a look and your comments.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 235Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: