Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1909 S VDB On Ebay Looks Fake?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 629Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1373 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  1:47 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add lawest to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The VDB doesn't look right on this to me, what do you think?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154787839892

Learn More...
United States
23254 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Adding to this thread the eBay auction pic of the rev showing initials plus a cropped close-up of this same image for posterity:

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2309 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  3:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will add here the both kind.

Left: Added "VDB", Right: Genuine "VDB"

I think the photos speak themselves for anyone.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1513 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, to start, to my eyes I see nothing that screams alteration, albeit the pics are a tad to blurry for my liking, so indeterminate wether or not issues are present. The VDB looks ok , has the slant in the middle of the B, etc.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2309 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Was sold 958 $
Pillar of the Community
United States
637 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Check pristine2's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add pristine2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looked genuine to me.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7445 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67709 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fair grade, fair price.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2092 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It boggles my mind that someone is willing to plunk down close to a grant for a raw coin.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2309 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Numis, people go more by the folk. In fact the VDB it is not so rare then is the folk. the 1909S vdb and others S was just a coin who was hoarding. Been hoarding the really coins have an brass look and mint luster and estimate at around 200K. The circulated like this example here who was an simulation of the genuine, will turn reddish then red-brown on an genuine.

Because I say it is not genuine the coin, I will give another hint: the first dot after the V, in the genuine has almost same distance from letter like the D dot. Second is the angles of the letters. Then are more markers to look for. They are some cast in China, which are different then this one. Then we have the after strike re-punch the VDB (in my opinion this case).

Enough for this mite of the mint.

PS better to look for 1914-D instead of this.
Edited by silviosi
01/16/2022 10:39 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4270 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  10:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the 1909-s Lincoln without vdb is a scarcer coin and a better value.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1028 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  10:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not an expert in 09s vdb's but looks ok to me.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2309 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  10:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Jim You are wright. Also in high grade an 1909-s is better.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2309 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2022  11:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And to explain for all to know, the next photo will show the genuine S Mint only strike. The small photo with red circle show the mark for the all S punched. I will not make description of the S arrangement and angles because for our purpose daily is enough.

Hope COOP has this one.
Edited by silviosi
01/16/2022 11:10 pm
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2022  12:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuffaloIronTail to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've never seen designers initials that boldly struck. Just sayin.

Pete
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2309 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2022  12:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Buffalo those are the mint mark from the mint. the photos show the MS66 and MS67. Those are the real one. I give because more and more ask for all kind of fake. In fact many are only re-punch mint mark. A few millions of VDB was struck in Phil.
Edited by silviosi
01/17/2022 12:41 am
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 629Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.37 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: