Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1c 1940 S Discolouration?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 685Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
155 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  9:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Meandice to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I went to the bank today and they had a few rolls of pennies.

There are quite a bit of coins from the 40's and 50's. However, alot are a colour I'm not used to. Normally I see coins that are brown. But these are more whitish-dull (please see pics).

A couple has some black oil on them. Is the discolouration due to some chemical damage or the way they were stored?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70143 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Copper can take on almost any color of the rainbow in different environmental conditions.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1765 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  11:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The black spot is a carbon spot

"Copper is a highly reactive metal and it is not unusual to see "carbon spots" on them. They are called carbon spots because many times they are formed from carbon in the air or mishandling by people. Once a carbon spot is in a coin it is there forever and will leave a pit that actually grows deeper over time"

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1765 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also, wartime cents, esp 1942, are often odd looking. Something to do with wartime alloys. SPP, have you ever done an XRF analysis of 1942 cents against the official alloys? This would make an interesting study. Maybe they were heavy in zinc.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
659 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  04:27 am  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An old guy gave me a bunch of cents. He washed them with detergent since they had been in a wet basement. Same look. Also could be cleaned in vinegar and left loose.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19828 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  05:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Carbon spots are not carbon, but they are very black.
That is because copper sulfides and copper oxides happen to be black. The black spotting cannot be removed.

Most unsightly on red copper or bronze proof coins.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6032 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You need to try some Verdi-Care on them
Learn More...
Canada
10212 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  12:35 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Verdi-Care is probably worth more than the coins. That said, if you are going to mess around with treating coins, it is best to practice on those with low value.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
Canada
155 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Meandice to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the replies! At least I can say that I was able to find consecutive pennies in circulation from 1938-2012.... Better than my nickels.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2803 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The discoloration what you say it is the color of a clean coin, not vinegar because vinegar bring rose color to the cooper.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
659 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silviosi, I should have clarified that it could have been vinegar and then left for years, not a recent cleaning.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2803 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  03:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Terry you are right, after the yers will come brown AND full off black carbon spots deep incuse in the coin.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 685Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: