Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Am Inexperienced In Coin Storage, And Am Looking For A Safer Alternative To Vinyl.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 448Next Topic  
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2022  10:03 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add dunkleosteus430 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, this is my first time posting on the forum, although I have been reading it for a while. I was looking for a coin album for my relatively small coin collection on Amazon (of course) and most contained PVC. I thought about cardboard 2x2s, but wondered if the plastic covering sandwiched in them was safe for coins. I am also looking for a less expensive option, of course, preferably under $25. Once again, I am looking for a safe way to store my coin collection, which is currently in a pencil box filled with mylar 2x2s.
I look forward to talking.
Pillar of the Community
United States
586 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  12:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CentSation to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would just say that it all depends on how you want to display/enjoy your collection as to what storage method to choose.

As far as PVC, I was under the impression that PVC was not used for coin storage products anymore [with the possible exception of products from China/third-world countries].

The flips are generally safe and are a standard for storing coins relatively cheaply.
Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves -- Witch Hunt
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19595 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  05:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have used cardboard / Mylar 2x2's in non PVC album pages** from since they were first available.
That way, you are not constrained by the need to collect a set of coins as dictated by the pre printed albums, and you are more free to collect whatever you want.

** available in Mylar and polypropylene - both are archival quality.
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dunkleosteus430 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, thanks CentSation and sel_69l. I was looking into the albums that hold 2x2s, and thanks for the extra advice!
Learn More...
United States
112350 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  08:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

The cardboard 2x2s are certainly safe and probably the most economical option.
Valued Member
United States
141 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  11:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Safaga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cardboard 2 x 2s are an excellent inexpensive alternative.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17211 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF , Ok ,what you want is a loose leaf binder and non PVC plastic sheets for 2x2 's . one sheet holds 20 coins in 2x2 holders . If the binder is large enough it can hold many sheets .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dunkleosteus430 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
New question: What cardboard 2x2 on Amazon is the best option? I have a gift card for Amazon, so that's where I'm looking.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8072 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2022  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you go the binder route, be sure to use the sturdiest binders you can find. I have some pretty rugged 'industrial grade' binders from the '60s/'70s which work well. I'd suggest avoiding extremely large (thick) binders which hold boatloads of pages. They don't stand up well to heavy use when supporting the weight of 100s of coins--just my opinion.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 448Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: