Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Am I The Only One Who Thinks That, If A Coin Wasn't Found In Saltwater It Shouldn't Have"Toning"

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 402Next Topic  

Australia
18 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  04:50 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Malnsw to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi any thoughts on the topic.
Australia
18 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  05:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Malnsw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even if you put a coin in a protective case the moment it's struck. The oil in the metal at point of manufacture, would stop the coin from "toning".
Pillar of the Community
United States
692 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  06:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Toning can be considered a form of environmental damage, pleasing to some and not pleasing to others. It is what happens to a coin after being exposed to chemicals in the environment. Old time collectors used to dust their albums or folders with sulfur which over time toned coins. While some toning is artificial, others can take on natural toning simply from storage. There are many wonderful examples of proof coins sealed in mint cellophane with great toning and I dare say they were not exposed to salt water.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67617 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1148 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  09:37 am  Show Profile   Check Collects82's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Collects82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lots of Morgan dollars toned while sitting in bank vault bags for 60-80 years, especially those that were up against the bag itself. These never came close to saltwater. All sorts of things can cause toning. - I've seen newly released ASE still in the original govt packaging already toned, must have had some fast acting residue on it.
My hoard of '82s is up to 223! 218 BC x 1, 118 BC x 3, 18 BC x 1, 82 x 1, 182 x 1, 282 x 2, 382 x 1, 582 x 2, 682 x 1, 782 x 2, 882 x 1, 982 x 4, 1082 x 1 1182 x 8, 1282 x 2, 1382 x 1, 1482 x 5, 1582 x 13, 1682 x 16, 1782 x 58, 1882 x 62, 1982 x 37
Valued Member
United States
138 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  11:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Safaga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Toning is caused by exposure to chemicals in the atmosphere. The coin does not have to be in seawater.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
749 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Toning is caused by exposure to chemicals in the atmosphere. The coin does not have to be in seawater.

Yes,also the container the Coin is stored in can affect Patina.Forget about toning in seawater,it can eat Copper coins,and Silver coins with impurities, away.
I always thought Toning on Coins exposed to certain types of air was a urban myth but after purchasing a couple of bulk buys from Newcastle,NSW Oz.,old BHP Steelworks,it is a fact.
Silver in particular were turning black,must be Sulphur or the like in the Atmosphere,glad I didn't live there to breathe it in.
Australia
18 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  5:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Malnsw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Toning is also caused by washing coins, and the amount of clearly cirrculated coins that are so clean it's impossible to think they haven't been washed. Toning occurs when water comes in contact with the oils on the surface of the coin. Not just saltwater, freshwater does it as well. That's why the coin in the bank vault bag touching the bag toned, more than the others. At some point that bag came in contact with water. Some rich collector got conned and to try and make the money back, they've managed to get the sheep follow.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
21784 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BiggFredd, a long time member here that has passed, lived a block from a commercial glass manufacturer. He could put a silver coin on his window sill for a few weeks and have a wildly toned coin. Makes you wonder what the neighborhood breathing though right?
Australia
18 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2022  6:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Malnsw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I live in greater Sydney. I was given some Penny's and smaller coins from the south pacific when I was 10. Now at 53 the coins don't have toning. For the last 20 years they've sat in a matchbox in a box in storage, before that they sat in the same matchbox in a drawer. The 4 of the 1964 Penny's haven't toned nor the 55 (no dot) hasn't toned either.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 402Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: