Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1887 Morgan Dollar Grade

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 552Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
132 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  2:36 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ericgreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Thoughts on grade before I purchase? Thanks!

Pillar of the Community
United States
2233 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  2:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I'll give my less-than-expert opinion on this beauty until the Morgan masters arrive. I would guess that this will grade in the MS64/65 range based on these photos.

I love the cracky reverse! That will get me every time.
"Nummi rari mira sunt, si sumptus ferre potes." - Christophorus filius Scotiae
Pillar of the Community
United States
1521 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  3:09 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-63
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67669 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say solid 64, good shot at 65.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1149 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Check Collects82's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Collects82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a sucker for the cracks too.

I'm at 63/64. Something about he pics makes me question over a 64 is possible; maybe a tad washed out for my comfort. I wouldn't pay more than 63 without more pics to confirm it's worth it to ya.
My hoard of '82s is up to 223! 218 BC x 1, 118 BC x 3, 18 BC x 1, 82 x 1, 182 x 1, 282 x 2, 382 x 1, 582 x 2, 682 x 1, 782 x 2, 882 x 1, 982 x 4, 1082 x 1 1182 x 8, 1282 x 2, 1382 x 1, 1482 x 5, 1582 x 13, 1682 x 16, 1782 x 58, 1882 x 62, 1982 x 37
Edited by Collects82
01/21/2022 3:51 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2823 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
64 not sure about the pics
Pillar of the Community
United States
1511 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice and beaut there, I see clashing marks on the reverse so pinning down the vam# is a bit easier. This is probably a MS-65 abouts to me.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2712 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First,

There is too much glare on the photos for an accurate assessment. If you reduce lighting on the photos, it reveals much more of the surface conditions.

Here, there are quite a few contact marks between the "PL" of PLURIBUS and the forehead, and several additional lighter contact marks on the cheek. The reverse is better, with some chatter in the fields beneath the eagle's wings. I think it makes MS-64.
Pillar of the Community
United States
637 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Check pristine2's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add pristine2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Despite the glare I would say the surfaces look very promising.

Funny though, unlike other posters I think there is enough cheek chatter to bring it down to MS63+, despite those clean mirrors and lovely reverse.

Common date, but if the price is right and you like the coin, seems like a good bet to me.
United States
45 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add drmenard to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I going with a solid MS65
Valued Member
Australia
438 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echidna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ride due west as the sun sets. Turn left at the Rocky Mountains.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1353 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the cheek is hiding some marks
63 here
Valued Member
United States
132 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  9:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ericgreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone! Retail price wise, do you all us the PCGS price guide to compare? So if this is a MS63/64, would a fair price be what they list $95-155.

Just don't want to pay too much and am learning
Pillar of the Community
United States
1184 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  09:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ham1947 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at these photos, I see no reason that it should not grade MS65.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8041 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Solid MS63 for me, possible 64.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2712 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  1:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ericgreen,The market is weird right now, and prices fluctuate quite a bit.

The PCGS prices are one guide, but it's helpful to use multiple guides.

Greysheet makes its retail prices available online, and that's a decent source.

eBay sold listings can also be a guide, although eBay prices have been running above retail for a while. Most of that is pandemic buying, because of the lack of coin shows and many brick-and-mortar coin shops closing or moving to online sales. That has created an artificially tight market, and many buyers have crowded into eBay, driving up prices.

Dealer ads in Coin World and other publications show the top of the inventory, but at least get you to the dealer websites. I'm finding that dealers are pricing inventory pretty aggressively right now because of the artificial market conditions. Negotiations over prices are tougher than they were immediately before the pandemic.

I'll share a couple tips for right now. First, be patient. Avoid "gotta have it" syndrome, especially in online auctions. The coins are still out there, and actual scarcity hasn't changed. It's only the lack of an efficient market that is moving prices. Second, research the value and don't budge on your price. Very few coins are so scarce that others won't appear. Third, take time to build a relationship with one or two local dealers. That can give you better opportunities than you will find online.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 552Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: