Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Storage For Banknote And Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 425Next Topic  
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2022  10:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Usscoinscaa to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, I'm wondering how should I store my banknotes and coins. I've been using 2x2 coin flips for my coins and putting those 2x2s in BCW album pages. But I don't like the BCW 2x2 20 pocket pages because they are not thick enough a break easily, Same for the banknotes.

I'm looking for pages that are thicker, any idea what I should buy that is PVC-FREE?

I also saw on the forums I should use a D wring binder because they are better. I'm also looking for pages that have multiple different holes incase I want to change to 4 wring in the future or something.

I also put my large sized banknotes in Ultra-Pro Currency Sleeves and my modern sized in BCW Currency Sleeves, I think both of the sleeves are made of Polypropylene.
Edited by Usscoinscaa
01/21/2022 10:35 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11477 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  12:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF!

There are as many different ways to store coins and banknotes as there are members here on CCF.

For most of my world banknotes I use Vario 3c 3-pocket clear pages and stick them in Lighthouse Grande binders. The vario 3c are semi-rigid and very sturdy. You can find those on Amazon and Wizard, among other places, for less than a dollar a sheet. For my U.S. banknotes that aren't holdered, I use a few Dansco 7001 currency albums. These fit small-size U.S. notes nicely and are significantly smaller than the Lighthouse albums. The Dansco pages aren't as rigid as the Vario pages and with the state of Dansco these days, they can be very difficult (and expensive) to find. For loose notes that I want to protect, I just use rigid top-loaders designed for banknotes. If I really want to protect the note I might use a mylar sleeve inside of the Vario 3c page or top loader.

For my coins, I'm not really a 2x2 guy but MANY folks here swear by it. 2x2 systems definitely offer a TON of flexibility as you can endlessly customize an album. I mostly use albums such as Whitman and Dansco. For my ASE collection, those go into CAPS albums.

Spending money on storage isn't always the most fun, but it's important for protection and preservation.

No doubt you'll get a ton of alternative input and opinions, but whatever you decide on, have fun!

Edited by CelticKnot
01/22/2022 12:04 am
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  02:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Usscoinscaa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is very helpful thank you CelticKnot, this is a reply to you.

Do you know if DANSCO 7001 currency pages are made of PVC? I bought a DANSCO 7000 2x2 coin holder book for 1$ at an estate sale and the pages smell like PVC and the pages are rigid.
Would you know if the Rigid currency holders are PVC-FREE?
I bought the thin currency holders by BCW and Ultra-Pro which are PVC-FREE, but I've noticed the notes can bend easily in them.
I've been avoiding putting them in rigid sleeves because I'm worried it might damage my notes.
That is reason I want the thicker pages for my notes, So I can use my thin PVC-FREE sleeves instead of buying the BCW pages and putting them in Rigid sleeves.
For my 2x2s I want thicker pages because the BCW pages don't seem very durable. I also considered Buying a DANSCO album (not for 2x2s which I already have) for coins, but they cost to much and I think the albums might tone my coins.
I've also been looking for a new US type set album because my Whitman one broke and I lost one of the sliding sheets for it. I also really want to get a Canadian Type Set and Canadian Year Albums, but I cannot find any at all, if I do find one it costs too much.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20684 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I put almost all my coins in Albums. Most are Whitman Albums but many other brands also. At coin shows I always ask dealers what the do with Albums they buy and if not saving them, I ask for them. I get lots of different ones that way. I am not worried to much about how long the coins will last since I have no one to leave them to so almost all coins go into an Album.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11477 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2022  01:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great questions!

Quote:
Do you know if DANSCO 7001 currency pages are made of PVC?

I don't know, but all Dansco products are archival quality so I have no concerns with the flexible pages in the 7001 albums.

Quote:
Would you know if the Rigid currency holders are PVC-FREE?

Per the packaging of the Vario 3c sheets, I can't say they are PVC-free, but they do say "acid-free and contain no harmful softeners". I have no worries there either.

Quote:
I bought the thin currency holders by BCW and Ultra-Pro which are PVC-FREE, but I've noticed the notes can bend easily in them.

I have many items stored in Ultra-Pro products (mostly baseball cards) for going on 20 years now. No issues; they are solid.

Quote:
I've been avoiding putting them in rigid sleeves because I'm worried it might damage my notes.

Throw everything away that you're concerned about and replace with mylar sleeves in PVC-free top-loaders. It's not all that much money to protect an investment.

Quote:
That is reason I want the thicker pages for my notes, So I can use my thin PVC-FREE sleeves instead of buying the BCW pages and putting them in Rigid sleeves.

Not 100% sure what you mean, but it sounds like what I mentioned above. Putting notes in mylar sleeves, then sticking them in rigid holders or pages.

FWIW, regarding PVC... it's not PVC itself that is the culprit, rather it is the plasticizers that are/were used. Basically no one cares about the distinction thus PVC = evil.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11477 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2022  01:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am not worried to much about how long the coins will last since I have no one to leave them to so almost all coins go into an Album.

@just carl, respectfully, perhaps leave your coins in your will to your local coin club?
Learn More...
United States
112406 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
20617 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
A cultivated person is a citizen of the world*
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 425Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: