Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cleaning Information

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 682Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
60 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  06:58 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Smack2k to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What are safe ways to clean a dirty / caked on coin you dont want losing value? I assume soaking would be only option as any rubbing is bad.

Can you soak it in anything other than water and not lose value? Is acetone a nono? Denatured alcohol?

For coins you just want to clean and shine, not worried about value, what is best way to shine them?
Pillar of the Community
United States
8031 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  07:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Suggest using the 'search' function found on this page (upper portion). There've been many topics and discussions concerning coin cleaning--from methods to sharp philosophical debate.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20681 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  10:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Acetone is one of the best things to use. Also, Distilled water. If of no concern of value, then get some of that Jewelry Cleaner from Walmart. Of course remember it not only gets dirt off, but some of the metal tooooooooooo.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17190 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  4:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you just want to clean and shine silver coins with no value then a couple of dips in E-zee est Silver cleaner . As far as cleaning all coins don't use anything accept Acetone .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
20506 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What are safe ways to clean a dirty

A cultivated person is a citizen of the world*
Valued Member
United States
60 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  7:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smack2k to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, I will do a search. Sorry, that was pretty lazy of me.

As for pictures, I dont have anything in particular, but wanted to shine up my normal Lincoln's for the coin books.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17190 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
but wanted to shine up my normal Lincoln's for the coin books.

That's a no-no . If your putting Lincolns in folders your not supposed to shine them up .

In Memory of Butch L.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1520 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2022  11:17 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree to use Ez-est, although only use it on silver coins. Once copper has tarnished, there is no good way to make the coins look brand new again. The only thing to do is buy a better condition coin.

Acetone is good to remove a residue or organic material from the surface of a coin. It will not hurt the metal.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1290 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2022  11:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chute72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is no consensus on the definitions of cleaning, restoring or conserving. Each coin must be treated individually. I enjoy the process but it takes time to learn.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
20506 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2022  11:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There is no consensus on the definitions of cleaning, restoring or conserving. Each coin must be treated individually. I enjoy the process but it takes time to learn.

Nice results !
A cultivated person is a citizen of the world*
Pillar of the Community
United States
1290 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2022  02:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chute72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
About 10 years ago I was going through a period of low income, and wanted to expand my understanding of coins and collecting. Fortunately, my local dealer (greatest guy in the world) was so busy with higher end coins that he just couldn't deal with cheap foreign coins.
So he just dumped them into buckets and sold them for 10 cents apiece. From those buckets, I've put together a type collection of world coins of almost 2500 examples for less than $250.

My financial situation improved, and I don't mind spending much more for a coin, but I learned how to spot an improperly cleaned coin. And many of my properly conserved Morgans have been acceptable to the TPG without notation on the label.

Here are a couple more of my ten cent learning pieces.

Learn More...
United States
112160 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1623 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2022  10:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mysilveryears to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
srsly, @Chute72; you need to teach us your techniques.
that is some fine alchemy on those corroded specimens.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17190 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2022  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes , not bad at all .

In Memory of Butch L.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 682Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: