Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help Identifying This One (Id: 1869 Austria-Habsburg 1 Kreuzer)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 378Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
129 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2022  5:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add tooboocoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

found this looking thru my Lincoln cents last nite and cant put my finger on what I found not sure if its foreign or american an error or just wore out there isn't much to go on but hopefully someone can help identify with what is visible on the coin, I couldnt find that style of bow anyplace possibly early canadian anyways thanks for looking
Pillar of the Community
United States
1637 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2022  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrwhatisit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It very much looks like an Austrian/Hungarian kreuzer from 1869 in toasty condition; I recognize the layout since I have several of these .
Edited by mrwhatisit
01/27/2022 5:30 pm
Learn More...
United States
23732 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2022  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice work @mrw. I think you are right. Here is the numista link:

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces6709.html

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3939 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2022  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The mintmark is A so this is probably the Austrian type: https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces2360.html

AFAICT what's left of the obverse fits that better as well.
Learn More...
United States
23732 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2022  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
this is probably the Austrian type

Fixed.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2022  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tooboocoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for looking one other question , does this coin whatever it might be,not seem to be quite a bit off center
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5425 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2022  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think so.

The tip of the A is centered. The date is not exactly centered, but if you look at @j1m's link, the date in that image is also slightly left of center.
I think your eye is reacting to the asymmetric amount of detail remaining right and left

Pillar of the Community
United States
1371 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2022  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I made a study of coins like this six years ago because I obtained several that were claimed to be counterfeit.
They were not.
Just different among the population.
They "didn't look right" by the donor.
I used software to draw calibrated lines and a computer microscope to measure and show how wide ranged and varied the letters & numerals were regarding placement.
How regular and non-regular they were both horizontal and vertical.
If you have enough coins like these, many differences can be seen among them.
I scanned my book pages, reduced page size and color to show these as examples:

Edited by Albert
01/29/2022 3:07 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 378Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: