Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Indian Cent Acetone Problem (1891)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 587Next Topic  
Valued Member
Sweden
121 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  11:28 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add denkan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

I made a mistake and was too quick to put a coin in acetone instead if inspecting the coin more....

I don't have pictures right now but it is an AU coin dark brown with some blue in it and a little red showing in some places. Maybe it is AT, I don't know.

The problem is that there was "alot" of gunk around the devices that didn't come off but instead went from black to grey/white wich now makes the letters look awful.

I don't want to try and scrape the gunk off since it's likely I'll scratch the coin.

Would it help to put the coin in acetone again for a longer time? I hade the coin in for about 20 min.

Any other ideas?

/denkan

*** Edited by Staff to Add Year to Title. Titles are Important! ***
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67669 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  11:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hate to offer advice without pics.
Edited by Coinfrog
01/28/2022 11:41 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17194 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Valued Member
Sweden
121 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add denkan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some pictures.
Picture 3 and 4 is most representive for how the coin looks. Picture 5 and 6 show the flat greywhite halo around the letters and in the shield.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1521 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  12:10 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When acetone evaporates, it likes to take all the water with it. There is a chance your coin's gunk was something like soil that looked dark as long as there was moisture. The coin may have turned a different color because all of the moisture was removed from the gunk. More acetone will probably help loosen the gunk, although it may have a hard time removing it entirely.
Edited by jacrispies
01/28/2022 12:12 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1662 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mds308 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm no expert but when I've worked with acetone, I need to replace the old acetone with fresh acetone. I'm not sure if the correct term would be 'saturation' but at some point, the acetone will no longer dissolve the glue. I removed a political figure from one of my Liberty Eagles. This took numerous fresh acetone baths before all the color was gone.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67669 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  1:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree. Carefully using a Q-tip or a wood toothpick after soaking may loosen some of the debris as well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2129 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  2:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had a similar experience one of the only times I've tried to acetone a coin, this on a silver dime. What was formerly black and green turned white and sort of sticky looking. I first did a few minutes, then an hour, then 2 hours, then gave up. I suspect it might be PVC residue but not sure.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20681 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd leave them as is. I don't mess with coins that already look that good.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
8002 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2022  9:02 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like a Mikes Mountain Values coin.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
3534 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2022  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had the same thought that it looked like a Mikes Mountain AT job, and the acetone is reacting to the artificial toning causing the grey/white halo around the letters. I have had some luck with coins that have been messed with or unwanted toning by making them a pocket piece for a couple of weeks. Try the following for a couple of days: Get as much skin oil on the coin as possible two or three times a day and put it in your pocket without other coins or keys. Your skin oil might darken the grey/white areas. If you start to see results that you like, continue until desired look.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4016 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2022  02:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely has the look of a coin that took an MS70 bath (Mike's mountain).

I'd go another round with acetone, if that doesn't work then I'd go the route of xylene. Very similar and safe to use like acetone (safe for the coin, not so much for your health). Xylene is slightly greasier and I feel does a better job at removing some of that unwanted organic haze. I usually just dip a qtip into it, lightly roll over the surfaces, very minimal to no pressure.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 587Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: