Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1853 1 Dollar Non-Genuine Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 561Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1662 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  8:36 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mds308 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here is the other counterfeit 1 dollar gold coin. Just like the other one I have, I paid nothing due to the other stuff I had purchased. I'm 99 percent sure it's bad but I want to hear what you guys think. The detail is a little weak, Liberty is barely visible, the color is more like rose gold and whatever else you can find wrong. The weight is 1.66 grams and the diameter is 13.66mm. I'm thinking more like a jewelers copy. The coins fields are a little mottled. It's like fine pimples. It looks like there are two die cracks. One across her head and the other across her neck. Probably from the casting. Thanks for your input.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1525 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one looks counterfeit for sure. Kinda neat how there are major die cracks on the obverse. Maybe this was a struck counterfeit. Not entirely sure.

Not a bad fake though...
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67707 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2022  10:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Clueless about this. Weight seems close. Anxious to learn from the experts.
Edited by Coinfrog
01/28/2022 10:31 pm
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1107 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2022  12:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... Anxious to learn from the experts.

Me too!

Quote:
This one looks counterfeit for sure. Kinda neat how there are major die cracks on the obverse. Maybe this was a struck counterfeit. Not entirely sure.

Not a bad fake though...

Hi jacrispies, what indicators are you seeing?

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19579 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2022  02:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
U.S. gold coins of all denominations and dates (even the common ones), have been counterfeited or copied.

The smaller size gold coins were often copied in good quality gold, to be used in jewelry.
Thus, this example could very well be a jeweler's copy.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
620 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2022  07:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see any flaws in this coin. The coin looks real (to me). The only thing that confuses me is that the coin looks too perfect.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1662 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2022  08:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mds308 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess I should have done this in the first place. Here is a side by side comparison. The stars are different, the Liberty is non-existent, mouth looks a little different, the olives are not attached to the branch, the colors are off (looks like rose gold) and the reverse denticles are non-existent too.

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2022  10:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rocky7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The fake has an overbite.
Learn More...
United States
112247 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1525 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2022  12:52 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's what I did, I compared them side by side. Thanks for adding the comparison photo mds308. The details are off, the strike is mushy, typical counterfeit look. I also noticed how the reverse has no denticles, like what mds308 said.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3633 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2022  8:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with a jewelry copy, vs. a numismatic deception. The fake coin would look fine on a necklace or bracelet. Unless you're proposing marriage, you shouldn't be that close to the neckline anyway.
-----Burton
47 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC, OnLinw Coin Club
Owned by four cats and a wife of 37 years (joined 1983)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1662 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2022  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mds308 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Unless you're proposing marriage, you shouldn't be that close to the neckline anyway.

What if you're a Numisvamptic ?
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 561Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: