Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Rim Damage Morgan Dollar (1888 O)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 506Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1446 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2022  6:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I posted this on guess the grade but now that I have the coin what I was hoping wasnt a issue does look to be a rim hit.
Opinions on if this would detail a otherwise nice coin?
Was going to send to PCGS with others
I posted on the grade post but they tend to not get looked at after a few days
and trying to decide if I should return it.
It folks think it will straight grade still I will submit it. If thoughts are it will detail its going back, I personally think its 50/50

*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark to Title. Titles are Important! ***

Coin looks nicer in hand than the pics but the hit at 9-10 is there for sure.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
69018 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2022  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say this straight-grades at MS-63.
Valued Member
United States
188 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2022  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pmint1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a beauty! I would say straight grade 64 with that eye appeal.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4126 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2022  9:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I personally don't see it as problematic. I vote straight grade.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5858 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2022  10:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

The rim hit is tiny and should not cause a "details" grade. The obverse fingerprints are more noticeable and might limit the grade to MS-63. Decent eye appeal overall.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1779 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2022  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think this has a chance at MS-64, but I will go conservative with MS-63. The rim dings shouldn't be a problem.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
545 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2022  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnjkedel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it were mine - my eyes would always be drawn to the rim issue. I may be outvoted but I think it might get an MS details grade.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3840 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2022  09:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The rim hit doesn't look any worse than a deep bag mark, so I'd think it would straight grade.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1446 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2022  10:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My fear is it looks potentially filled though it's not rough I guess it could be a edge hit
Pillar of the Community
United States
1446 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2022  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a small area but here it is magnified . Does this look filled? To me it looks like something with groves hit it.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4126 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2022  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That last shot you posted makes it look like a lamination error that detached.

Edit: coming back to this I'm almost positive this is a lamination peel. The surfaces are inconsistent and not straight. There is a wavy wood grain like appearance, similar to split wood. If this were damage I would expect to see a relatively even surface, especially given how small the area in question is. Also, it's goes not appear to have any displaced metal, no shiny raised areas throughout the area in question. Also notice the "cracks" notated with arrows. This look like an additional laminate that wasn't removed. Picture pulling apart layers of string cheese, similar appearance and concept, but better tasting than Morgan dollars.

Edited by Ty2020b
02/04/2022 1:18 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1446 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2022  2:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I appreciate it thanks again
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 506Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: