Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

General Eisenhower (Swiss Medal?)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 412Next Topic  
Valued Member

Italy
290 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2022  2:37 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I cannot find this exact medal, but I think company Kl. Kal. Schutzen riggisberg is a swiss company. Is this a Franklin mint type thing? 50th anniversary of d day type think? Any information would be very much appreciated.

Thank you!

Valued Member
Netherlands
147 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2022  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eligius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Riggisberg is a small village in the Kanton of Bern in Switzerland. KL.KAL. SCHÜTZEN is an abbreviation for Klein Kaliber Schützen (small caliber shooting). This is the name of a shooting association in Riggisberg. I found a pdf describing the history of this association No information about your medal is given however. I could not find any relation between Eisenhower and Riggisberg.

Valued Member
Italy
290 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2022  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Eligius. I found the village of course, but not the shooting club. I will research that some more. I haven't bought the medal, but it is close by at a shop so I may go take a look again.
I didn't get a weight nor a diameter and I doubt it is silver, but I usually google lens search these type things and almost immediately find a comparable. After some exhaustive searching I have nearly given up on this one.
I am sure I am missing something obvious.
Thanks for your help and I will let you know if I find anything.
Learn More...
United States
113300 Posts
Valued Member
Italy
290 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2022  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jbuck any ideas on it? metal composition or purpose or age? it's a frustrating one! I cannot even categorize it . . .
Learn More...
United States
113300 Posts
Learn More...
United States
23633 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2022  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe a modern version of a "shooting medal"?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
Italy
290 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2022  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok. So I weighted this at 52 g and measured it at 48 mm. It sure pings like silver... It's also less than $20. Any thoughts? I am at the shop now #128515;
Valued Member
Italy
290 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2022  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's two better pictures

Learn More...
United States
23633 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2022  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to know for sure from your pics, but the color looks more like bronze, perhaps with a silver wash of some sort. If you do/did get it, I'll be interested to hear what the specific gravity is.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
Italy
290 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2022  12:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roma2021 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Spence, I thought so too . . . but the nose has some wear . . . wouldn't the wash reveal a more bronze color? the lighting in the shop wasn't great. I'm still really confused I cannot find another one of these. Anywhere.
Valued Member
United States
446 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2022  12:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add retiredkper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As I read the medal it is an event. A small cal. shooting contest to celebrate the end of WWII and honoring Gen. Eisenhower. Since he is portrayed in uniform and only his rank is mentioned I would guess it to be 1945-46. Neat medal!!
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 412Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: