Coin Community Family of Web Sites Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.
Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ebayer Is Ruining Coins *cringe*

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 35 / Views: 4,195Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community

United States
1751 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2022  12:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have come across "morgandealer" on ebay

Almost all of his coins look the exact same....heavily cleaned and polished.

It is very cringe, and I know he is doing this to all of these coins.

I truly wish people like this were not involved, he is ruining coins.

https://www.ebay.com/usr/morgandealer

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

You realize when you know how to think, it empowers you far beyond those who know only what to think.

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
Edited by NumismaticsFTW
03/01/2022 12:08 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2901 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2022  1:21 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They do look like they have been harshly cleaned, but the photo has also been processed through photoshop or something alike. Double wammy for me.
Suffering from bust half fever.
Want to learn how to attribute early half dollars by die variety? Click Here: http://goccf.com/t/434955
Shoot me a PM if you are looking to sell bust halves.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
22822 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2022  1:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They look like they have cartwheel luster though.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2022  1:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rlars007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That cheek though.......

Uncirculated, but highly polished and therefor worthless. Yuck!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1009 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2022  2:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoctorBurnzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All you have to do is read the negative reviews on Ebay to know to stay clear of the seller.......
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12973 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2022  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suspect there's a bit of image processing (optimization...) going on as well.

Take a few minutes and read the neutral and negative feedback--rather interesting.
Pillar of the Community
United States
752 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2022  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ericgreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They do a ton of image processing to try to hide all the chatter. I purchased a Morgan from them before (when I wasn't as smart). It came with way more chatter than the picture shows and definitely dipped. They are on my seller exclude list.
Learn More...
United States
128395 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
752 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2022  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ericgreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a fun side-by-side of the coin I had bought. I did get a full refund.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4669 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2022  3:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are certainly some altered coins, but most of it looks like major image editing as others pointed out. Why anyone would buy from this seller or how they have any positive feedback at all is beyond me. eBay doesn't care, but it's clearly fraudulent listing practices. Intentionally altering a photo to deceive. In a perfect world they'd be a banned seller.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4009 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2022  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at the seller's typical final sales price, the juiced photos are not maximizing the auction bids as many of the final bids are on the low side. It appears that most buyers know what they are bidding on.
Learn More...
United States
28422 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2022  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
More honest than most:

Quote:
Due to the large quantity of coins we get, some of the coins had been cleaned. Please take that into consideration.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
2101 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2022  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Agree, several on the Bay like that. Misleading and trying to cover backside with empty disclaimers.

Beware and look before you leap ..
Pillar of the Community
United States
2869 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2022  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That polished one makes me sad.
Pillar of the Community
Topic Starter
United States
1751 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2022  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let's all observe a moment of silence for ericgreen. . .
You realize when you know how to think, it empowers you far beyond those who know only what to think.

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
Pillar of the Community
United States
2844 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2022  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it polished or is it photoshopped? Polishing takes more effort.

It doesn't matter to me because it doesn't interest me.

But this does. It was bodybagged for altered surfaces and I had to redrill the hole. It still appeals to me more than any Morgan ever will. It wasn't easy to find either.

"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
03/01/2022 10:03 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 35 / Views: 4,195Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: