Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1958 Canada Dollar Grade

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 759Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
974 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2022  08:33 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Always had a soft spot for these. I'm currently seeing if I can cherry pick a high grade one. What do you think this one grades in at?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15746 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2022  08:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quite a few bag marks, MS64
Pillar of the Community
United States
8917 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2022  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like it, could see MS63+. Excellent photos!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70194 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2022  09:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-63+ sounds right to me.
Valued Member
Canada
158 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2022  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wallyb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Im at MS62
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1964 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2022  10:49 am  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1339 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2022  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
63 as well
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3308 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2022  1:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm at ms60-62 I don't think it would go any higher.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
974 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2022  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for responses, it's surprisingly hard to find one raw above ms64. I've got a few more I might post but I think they'll be much the same grade. ijn1944 thank you! That $400 photography setup thread that I followed here years ago has been worth its weight in gold.
Valued Member
Canada
126 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2022  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Levaril to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@TobyJ any chance you could link that post on taking pictures? I try but nothing as good as what you have here. I could use some pointers!

Thanks.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
974 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2022  3:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Leveral, of course, this is the link:

http://goccf.com/t/158182

Here is my setup. I use a Canon EOS 77D which is probably about $400 or $500 to buy but I do a lot of wildlife photography also. You can use a much cheaper camera as long as it is above 12mpx and can fit a focusing helicoid to it. You'll find all the details in that thread, but I fit a focusing helicoid to the camera with an adaptor, (this is a manual focussing ring) and connected to the focusing helicoid is an El Nikkor magnifying lens 70mm I believe. In between that, to change the size of the photo depending on what size coin you are photographing I use extenders which are quite cheap I think you can find them on ebay or Amazon. When taking photos, it helps to use two light sources with maybe tissue paper as a diffuser but again all information about lighting is in the thread I believe. Lighting is a big part of the photography, and it can be quite tricky, but it's fun to play about with it all.

With the el nikkor magnifying lens, the aperture is manual. I use F8 for larger coins and F5 for flatter coins. The higher the relief the coin is (thicker) the higher F number you will need.

I balance coins on a flat piece of wood which is about 5cm long, just so the background goes blurry and it really helps for the coin to be in focus.

If you have any questions I'm happy to help! I'm not at all an expert on it, I've just done a lot of experimenting.

Edited by TobyJ
03/21/2022 3:07 pm
Valued Member
Canada
126 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2022  4:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Levaril to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's excellent, thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
974 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2022  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kudos to coinfrog and ijn1944, excellent grading analysis.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
24496 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2022  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice example.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 759Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: