Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Do You Weigh Your Junk Silver?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 350Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
454 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2022  06:23 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jaxenro to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Do you weigh your junk silver when you get it? Lately I have been the last couple rolls of dimes came in about 124.2 grams which at 2.5 grams eachtimes 50 should be 125 so I thought that was good accounting for normal wear loss. I work that out to about 0.6% loss was expecting up to 1% or so
Edited by jaxenro
04/03/2022 07:06 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1839 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2022  08:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter53562 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't but I am lucky that I have a LCS that allows me to cherry pick what I want from their junk silver bins. I make it worthwhile and make sure to be quick about it so what I end up taking home is all in pretty good shape. The only other way I buy is from coin shows and only pick out stuff that I can look at it before purchasing.
Valued Member
United States
454 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2022  09:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jaxenro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I keep hearing about these mythical LCS's but I can never find one.most of my purchases are eBay, forums like this, and the occasional pawn shop find
Pillar of the Community
United States
1839 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2022  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter53562 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I keep hearing about these mythical LCS's but I can never find one.most of my purchases are eBay, forums like this, and the occasional pawn shop find

We have four in my city of 250k people. I generally only do business with two of them. The first one I mentioned earlier and then there's a second one I frequent occasionally. They have the best selection but their prices are a little higher. And they have been known to offer junk silver prices for coins they ultimately put in flips and sell as collectibles. The 3rd shop focuses on world coins. Great guys but they don't have much of what I seek. The fourth shop is owned by a guy who is a complete DB and is more jewelry focused (selection is weak, but prices are fair).

(edit - the 2nd shop one time sent me home with a roll of 90% halves that had multiple 40% JFKs. I should have inspected it before making the purchase but I trusted them. Now I do not buy 90% from them because of that and because they don't let me pick what I want like the first shop)

Do you have coin shows in your area or within a reasonable driving distance? I will drive up to about 2 hours for a decent coin show.
Edited by CoinHunter53562
04/03/2022 11:28 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17444 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2022  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Do You Weigh Your Junk Silver?

Only when I can get ahold of a 5 ton crane .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
United States
2534 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2022  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did it for a while to understand the relationship between coin grade and weight. At Good grade a quarter has lost 5-10% of its original weight.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Pillar of the Community
United States
4255 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2022  06:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's why an LCS will throw most junk on the scale when selling back to them.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 350Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: