Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1776 Continental Currency (Fake?)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 243Next Topic  
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2022  7:54 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add botanicalstig to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello!

I was given this in a box of coins by my grandmother. The coin collection belonged to my great-grandfather (passed in 93, don't know when or how he acquired this). Most of his coins were early 1900s, likely caught from the wild and stuck in a binder. Some were collected from foreign travel. It seems unlikely that he spent a fortune on something like this. But it also could have been given to him by his parents, grandparents etc. I know these are all always fake but I'm curious enough to get some eyes on it, or advice on how to confirm that it's counterfeit.

There seems to be some copper coloring coming through on the edges, does not appear to be rust. The coin is not magnetic. Weighed it at 20 grams with a run-of-the-mill kitchen scale. The coin is not flat- it's straight but one side is thicker than the other. It looks old and sort of sloppy. The counterfeits I've seen seem to weigh at 30+ grams, and look clean. This kind of looks like trash (maybe deliberately...)

Let me know if there's any hope, or any tell-tale signs that I'm overlooking.
Thanks!

Bedrock of the Community
United States
44599 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2022  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4477 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2022  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Unfortunately the bubbly surface and casting line around the edge make it an obvious and not very good fake.
Learn More...
United States
23188 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2022  8:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that this looks cast rather than struck.

And welcome to CCF!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67573 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2022  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Must agree.

to the CCF!
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2022  9:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add botanicalstig to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for confirming the bad news. His collection did consist of a few souvenir/novelty items as well, but they were not packaged with or similarly to the nicer coins. I think he believed this was genuine, as it was in its own 2x2 cardboard with a handful of nice silver pieces.

Bummer :(
Learn More...
United States
23188 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2022  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even with it not being real, it still is a tangible connection to your great grandfather and therefore has sentimental value.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
2125 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  12:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As a connection to your grandmother and great-grandfather, it's priceless though, right? I have a similar piece from my grandfather that was made into a tie clip. It seems like anything with 1776 on it was very popular during a certain era, 1940-50s perhaps. They knew it wasn't real, but then their heirs inherit it and wonder.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  08:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add botanicalstig to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh yes 100%. I spent HOURS researching everything in that case, took lots of notes. Thinking that this stuff has been around as long as it has, and sitting in a box longer than I've been alive is crazy. My plan is to repackage everything with info on new cardboards, and put them in a nice case.

I will be sure to label this one as "reproduction" before I lock it up again

My favorites were a few national park centennial medalians kept in little envelopes. They belong on display, glad I dug them out!
Edited by botanicalstig
05/11/2022 08:56 am
Learn More...
United States
111980 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 243Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: