Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2021 D Nickel With Charcoal Toning

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 172Next Topic  

United States
17 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2022  3:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add K9mike to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Have question about toning. I found a new nickel in roll and it has a charcoal/gunmetal grey type look to it. (smokey). Was wondering if this is common situation that can occur. I had several other new 2021 nickels, very nice shape and shiney in roll...but, this one...def caught my eye. Very uniform all over the entire coin. Wish would have take pics, but had put it in a flip and now cant get very good images. But, just was wondering if this is type thing can occur coming from mint. thx for any help.
Mike
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
57307 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2022  3:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Without images, we are without response. It could be something or a damaged nothing. Seems like the damaged stuff is what everyone notices as different. Being different doesn't make it a mint error.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2022  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add K9mike to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Guess what was trying to say was. Can this sort of thing happen at the mint? Sorry couldn't post pics. (Really don't think could get great shot of it, but could try).
Pillar of the Community
United States
1615 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2022  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
maybe could happen at the mint, but if it also can happen to a coin outside the mint, that's where it will be assumed to have happened
Pillar of the Community
United States
8011 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2022  4:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Posting pics can be a pain, but having something to look at and evaluate makes all the difference.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
67573 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2022  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2022  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MakesNoCentsToMe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
K9. Just try and post a pic.
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2022  6:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add K9mike to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, here ya go...there not great and the coin looks really uniform and shiney in person...But with the smokey tint to it.

Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2022  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MakesNoCentsToMe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have to start somewhere K9. Taking good coin pics is the bane of my existence! lol. The pro's on here will at least have a starting point now.
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2022  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add K9mike to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lol...yes. I wish could get good shot of it. Like said the coin is nice and shiney like a new nickel. It just has this smokey tint to it throughout the whole coin. Very nice looking. Is it possible the blanket could have been tainted? #129335;#8205;#9794;#65039;
Learn More...
United States
23192 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2022  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
if it also can happen to a coin outside the mint, that's where it will be assumed to have happened

That is exactly right. Unless it cannot have happened after the coin was struck you should just assume that it happened later. With toning and surface discoloration, that would be a very safe bet.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 172Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: