Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1982 Lincoln Penny DDO / DDR

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 500Next Topic  
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  8:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 3hundredbands to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
{UPDATED} I think I may have a 1982 Double Die Obverse & Reverse Lincoln Penny but I'm not entirely 100% on it, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

— a thousand thank you's for the patience
Edited by 3hundredbands
05/16/2022 03:14 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70169 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please crop and greatly enlarge your images, adding close-up shots of areas you believe show doubling. These pics show us nothing.

to the CCF!
Edited by Coinfrog
05/15/2022 8:34 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
8913 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree. Full, large and sharp pics needed. Thanks.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15739 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

This is a forum for Canadian Banknotes, not US coins.
Have asked that it be moved to the proper forum.
As stated much larger and clear photos with closeups of the area you think are doubled before anyone can help.
We have to be able to see the detail on the coin.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58744 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2022  9:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Need a closer view to see what you are seeing. More like this sizes of images:

Note on these examples the spread is on the centers of the devices. If you are seeing Machine Doubling it will be on the outside/inside edges of the coin. These are not doubled dies, but altered after the strike by the machine:
If it looks like this, it is not a doubled die:

The machine alters the devices on this areas mentioned. A doubled die has the doubling on the die. A doubled die can have Machine Doubling, but Machine Doubling never creates a doubled die as MD is caused by the machine. A doubled die is caused by doubling on the die.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  04:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add I6609 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is this a large date or small date looks like a large date to my eye but I don't trust my eyes
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45723 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  04:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. It is a large date and looks like a copper plated zinc core cent. I see no doubled die.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
114715 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58744 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

The devices are normal in size. The dies may have been polished thus making the large dates devices may be looking smaller. But note on the image above for these differences.
1. The location of of the '2' on the date. The large date '2' is closer to the rim.
2. The large dates devices are larger than the small date.
3. Why are they different sizes? The large date was hubbed from a swelling master hub. When they noticed this they recreated a new master hub. The new master hub was not swollen so the devices are in the normal locations. How can I prove this is what happened? But using the small date design.

This is what the new master hub passed down the chain of command would create. (What does this mean? The chain of command?)

The steps the master hub to working die progression happens. The design is part of the creation of the dies and hubs are created.
Back to the differences of the large and small design differences:
Note the locations of the devices? That is what the design should look like. But using Photoshop I can create a movement of the design to more towards the rim.

Note the change on the second image? Seeing them side by side will help a bit more:

The movement of the devices are seen moved and enlarged, just like the normal large dates images on this re-creation.

Side by side a breakdown of the differences can be seen:

The differences is locations and sizes of the devices. sorry to go this deep, but to see the exact differences, helps you to ID these differences in the future searches.

CoopHome: Why are there large and small dates on the 1982 cents? What differences can be noticed?

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1497 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF one thing to remember is if you think you have a DDR and DDO on the same coin, 99.9% of the time you don't. There are very few DDR and DDOs in the Lincoln series.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10351 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 500Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: