Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1970 D Nickel. PMD? Not Sure About Mint Mark

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 254Next Topic  

United States
18 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2022  12:27 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SuperSteveFly to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Two nickles in very similar condition. Is this PMD?

Edited by SuperSteveFly
05/22/2022 09:32 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
68797 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2022  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Guessing this is circulation damage.

to the CCF!
Valued Member
United States
350 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2022  09:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bugil46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hum
Seems to be extra metal there.
Curious?
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2022  09:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SuperSteveFly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was curious about the "extra metal" also. Not sure if it may be a die chip, or some weird RPM. Seems like there is too much thickness and the area is raised not flattened.

Can't find another example yet
Learn More...
United States
23664 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2022  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ssf, to me this looks like a combination of circulation flattening plus the use of a slightly worn punch to add the mm to the die. Alternatively, the mm punch might not have been perfectly perpendicular to the die. Either way it seems pretty minor, but could be worth saving if you want an exemplar.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58034 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2022  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Keep in mind that the mintmark are punched in with a punch:

These can vary is shape. Taller if the punch is driven deeper. Wider if two punching were not exact. When you see evidence of two punching happening, then you have a RPM. This one is not a RPM as you can see two different punching of the punch. Just a different looking mintmark from slight differences of the punched mintmarks.
RPM: Directions:

Examples:

CoopHome: What causes different shaped mintmarks and how is a RPM different?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8927 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2022  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MM on the right looks like either the MM stamp was applied at an angle or there was some die polishing going on around the upper left of the mark.
Valued Member
United States
350 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2022  2:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bugil46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Finally see it.
Applied at an angle.
Didn't notice shallow left corner.
Thanks
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2022  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SuperSteveFly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah I can see the angle MM. Thanks again everyone, I think I will keep it for exemplar
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 254Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: