Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1899 S Barber Dime Help

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 357Next Topic  

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2022  10:48 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JeddroMN to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, I've had a decent size coin collection for a while now and believe this to be one of my nicest coins. Any help with general grade and next steps would be great!

PS: I'm not entirely sure which is best grading service and if it's worth sending this one in. Thanks for any help with this! I appreciate it.

And did my best with pics - seems like it's picking up weird surface glare. Will try to get better pictures, but I can't make out any flaws and edge is perfect. Thanks.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
68918 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2022  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Too much flashback to evaluate this coin properly.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5858 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2022  11:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Can't tell much from these photos but the coin does not look mint state. Since the 1899-S is worth maybe $150 in problem-free AU it's likely not cost-effective to invest a grading fee.
Please post better photos if you can.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2022  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JeddroMN to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for feedback. My phone isn't best for pics but I'm guessing you're right on not being good enough to be worth grading. It's a lot sharper than I can capture with my phone but that doesn't take much haha. Thanks again

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
68918 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2022  1:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm afraid these aren't very helpful either.
Learn More...
United States
113522 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17453 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2022  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF , Way too much glare to determine it's anything but a Barber dime .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
United States
1176 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2022  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KYCopperCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Best advice I can give is this...keep taking pictures, then look at the photos and ask yourself...does this show the coin as I see it in hand? Even after a few years if it, I still have to ask myself that question.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
68918 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2022  6:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good advice. I'm sure you can understand why these pics are of little value.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2197 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2022  11:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Experiment with your phone. I found with mine that holding it farther away and zooming in around 30% got it to focus better. There's a sweet spot. Crop a well-focused image later instead of trying to get the coin to fill the screen. Don't use the flash, put it in natural light near a window. As said above if it's not above mid-AU grade probably not worth spending money on professional grading unless you have other reasons than selling it.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12211 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2022  09:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
really tough to grade with these photos. if you cant get better photos the best guess is low to mid AU . there is no way to determine surface originality or whether it would grade straight

if the coin graded straight at AU55 the retail would be about $150-160 and imo would not warrant slabbing. just keep it in your collection and enjoy it
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1088 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2022  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Put phone on flat coffee mug to use as a base. Use natural window light if possible, and don't move LOL Coin looks AU - 53 maybe AU- 55 keep it protected in a safeflip.
I would pay the ANACS fee on that one, any coin I own worth a hundred bucks gets s slab, I would even slab my CNS silver bars if I could. Seriously that dime slabbed as straight grade is sought after and a slabbed barber is a happy barber.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2022  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JeddroMN to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all. Will work on getting better photos taken. Thanks for your suggestions
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
68918 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2022  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Standing by. Keep trying.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
23912 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2022  1:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Better photos needed.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 357Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: