Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1960-D/D 10c RPM FS-501

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 788Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Germany
70 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2022  02:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SoundBeing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it took a hit. The top and left of the mark are fat and normal, then the lower section is all bunched up and slid toward the center. The full outline is a normal punch, and then there was a strike that squished the bottom up into the middle. That's what it looks like to me.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58744 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2022  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On some mintmarks that get hit like your coin, the mintmark is taller than normal. So when the MD did a higher bounce, it missed the other devices, but the whole brunt was on the mintmark area. Thus why that is distorted on your coin. A high bounce of Machine Doubling flew over head of the other devices. How do I know that is the case? (Sherlock revealing a secret) Note the fine lines on that affected area? Those are striation lines. We see these when a sharp edge of the die affects an area on the coin. It is like the forensics of a knife blade used in determining an autopsy. These are seen on Machine Doubling lines. I call them striation lines. When I see this, I feel this is not a coin contact issue, but a die sliding issue. Other examples below.

On the last image you posted, it was the first case of full brunt contact of MD on a single device. Note how much stronger it is from the examples of full devices striation. Thanks for post that. Now I can keep on the watch for more of this happening. Not a premium for it, but more like the last piece I needed for my puzzle. Another coop secret revealed.

CoopHome: What is a striation line and what causes it? Why is this important? (coop secret revealed, another sign of Machine Doubling happening
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58744 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2022  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your image added to my educational library:
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
Germany
70 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2022  02:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SoundBeing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coop, as always, your in-depth analysis is fantastic. My question this time around is, why wouldn't there be these striation lines on other parts of the coin. If the die is sliding, wouldn't there be other indications somewhere else? More specifically, in the bottom of the torch area or the lettering on the reverse?

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 788Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: