Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Concern About A 1959 Gold Sovereign

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 431Next Topic  
Argentina
3 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2022  1:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Frank0215 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Greetings! This is my first post after my introduction. I read the rules and I think this is the right place to post this. If not, please forgive me and let me know where to do so.

A few days ago, I was looking at a gold sovereing I purchased on january at a LCS. At first, I thought it could be a mint error, but I searched on the internet and couldn't find any sovereing with something like this.

Now I'm worried it could be a counterfeit, so I'm here to ask for your opinions. The size and weight of the coin are both OK, and also passed the "ping" test.

Thanks for your time

EDIT: forgot to mention that the error is on top of the word "REGINA", and there's another one similar (but smaller) in another place.

EDIT 2: the weight of the coin is 7.9 ▒ 0.1 grams, or 0.25 ▒ 0.01 troy ounces. Thats the error of my scale.

Edited by Frank0215
06/09/2022 8:09 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10680 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2022  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
]It looks like a die crack to me.

Please could you post clear photos showing both complete sides of your coin? That will help us determine whether it is genuine. Thanks!
Argentina
3 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2022  2:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Frank0215 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your reply! I added two more photos. It's the best quality I managed to get from my phone camera
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10680 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2022  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. Looks OK to me, but I'm sure other members will give their opinions soon.
Learn More...
United States
114800 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15788 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2022  2:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

As mentioned, that is just a Die Crack, otherwise it looks genuine to me also.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70290 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2022  6:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you give us the weight, please.

to the CCF!
Learn More...
United States
24212 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2022  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@frank, first welcome to CCF. Second, you said that the weight is correct, but I agree posting it here for completeness is a good idea. For a next step, I recommend measuring the specific gravity of this piece.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Argentina
3 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2022  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Frank0215 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@coinfrog & @spence: thanks for your replies! I added the measured weight as you asked on "Edit 2".
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 431Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: