Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is There A Dollar Value Over Which I Should Get The Coin Graded?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 425Next Topic  

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2022  4:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add RuffledRacoon to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

After looking more closely at my coin collection, I noticed an 1878-S Morgan dollar, which I believe is a VAM 111 (please see my other post on "1878-S VAM 111?"). From what I've read, this error is relatively rare, and if true, I believe this coin could be very valuable. Finally, I believe this coin is a higher grade than any of the 1878-S VAM 111s graded previously.

I also have an 1878 Three Dollar gold coin in relatively good condition (I could post pictures upon request). I also have an 1899-O Micro O, which may be between high AU and low MS.

These are likely the most valuable coins in my collection. I have several others that are likely worth under $1,000, but that's really my question - When does one opt to have a coin graded? I think with the 1878-S VAM 111, I almost have to, just to confirm that it is actually a VAM 111.

One last question, if I do send the 1878-S VAM 111 to be graded, I worry a bit about where and how to send. Any thoughts?

Thank you all for any and all advice!
Learn More...
United States
24189 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2022  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A rough rule of thumb is to avoid paying more for the slabbing than the coin is worth. I'm sure others will be able to dole out more detailed advice, especially with regard to pick a TPG and then shipping your coins to them.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45756 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2022  5:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. As a general rule a coin needs a retail value of at least $100 to justify all costs involved in sending it in.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70241 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2022  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To me, the threshold would be closer to $300.

to the CCF!
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2022  07:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RuffledRacoon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all! I noticed that many people have discussed submitting their coins at the Expos (like the recent Whitman Expo). Is that a safer way of submitting a coin for grading?
Pillar of the Community
United States
704 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2022  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a faster turn around that's for sure.

I would suggest doing that if you could.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 425Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: