Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1970 D Lincoln Penny Lamination Issue, And Freddy Mercury! Yep I Said It.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 420Next Topic  
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2022  5:36 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jamye79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey yall. So in the midst of my out with the old on with the new I came across this 1970 D that I've had just put away marked as a lamination problem/error. After getting a closer look there appears to be a man with a striking resemblance to Freddie Mercury...lol. Further inspection led me to notice that what seemed to be under the lamination isn't matching the devices on top. I've taken lots of pics all right side up and posted the closest thing possible that I could find it resembled. I know anything is possible but those of you that know the mint process in and out....is this possible? Doesn't stick to a magnet. I first thought it might be a steel penny so whow over struck by 1970 but then how would it be the color it is. My scale read 3.0 g so it's over 2.95 g. As always I appreciate you all ahead of time and look forward to finding out if it's anything at all. Thanks Kindly.
J

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9203 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2022  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
my first thought was - exposed zinc core - but that ain't possible on a '70's cent. So, I'll be interested in what others have to say about this one.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3117 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2022  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My guess would be some sort of acidic chemical got onto the coin causing a reaction with the copper which would explain the odd colour and what looks like eaten away surfaces.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8845 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2022  12:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say it appears to be chemical staining/damage.
ça va bien aller

United States
20 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2022  02:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jamye79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
Canada
3117 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2022  02:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry it's just damage, no mint error.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9203 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58112 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2022  1:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it were over weight and magnetic, It could be a struck through a piece of the die. But it is under weight. Rarely do you see an addition from the die to a coin:

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
20 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  06:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jamye79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks @ coop for the educated and observational feedback. As far as paradolia, I've said it before. I'm a huge fan of paradolia. I'm an artist. I use it almost every day. Therefore I am very aware of where the vail lies. In this scenario I am looking at a Lincoln with a clad core from the 70s which is a Clad core most likely, to support the theory of it being somehow tainted by an acidic chemical in 3 spots and along the top edge of the coin but seemed to miss the rest? I dont know that seems like mostly lucky coin in my opinion. The coin that I am comparing it with I have never seen in my life until a google search of what I was seeing turned up the 24k gold plated Queen coin. I'm comparing a Lincoln cent and a coin that matches some of the devices that is a Clad coin plated in gold...sounds alot like evidence based theory?
Possible fact? One could only hope. Paradolia is seeing "Random" objects in a collection of data. Seeing Jesus in the coin...that would be paradolia, Freddy Mercury....maybe if it was just Freddy chilling on the coin all by himself. I have a couple more pics that I overlayed the coin that I'm seeing. Maybe my pictures just suck? Either way Paradolia is used to loosely. Perfect example posted here. I randomly drew in what I saw in the background of random media.

Thanks again guys, I'm really interested in getting gas lighted some more. Come for me,you know you want to...lol. seriously thanks. If its a lesson and I can learn something here I'm all ears. I love this hobby.
J

Edited by Jamye79
06/21/2022 06:08 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3117 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  06:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cents from pre 1982 were all made of 95% copper and 5% tin and zinc, they are not clad coins, just wanted to point that out. So if something acidic say coca cola got onto it and just sat there for years it would eat away the copper where it landed and cause a reaction with the copper possibly changing the colour. Coke was maybe a bad choice of an example as I don't think it would have this effect, but something highly acidic and reactive with copper.

Edit: I would have commented on the picture but I'm one of those artistically impaired people lol, not a bone in my body.... Well at least for visual art.
Edited by Wrekkdd
06/21/2022 06:16 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58112 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most of the damaged coins looks more like a different Freddy touched them:

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3117 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Most of the damaged coins looks more like a different Freddy touched them:

That's going to give me nightmares.... Right before my bed time to it's looks just like the 1936 dot penny I dropped into my garbage disposal Or was it a 1937 dot ...

Sorry for the bad humorI'm tiered but have to stay up another hour.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9203 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, what am I to think when you type "Elisabeth II" then add arrows pointing to an unknown area, making me think that you see it on the coin?
Pillar of the Community
United States
8845 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We gave you our honest opinion on what's up with your coin, but it wasn't what you wanted to hear so you reject it. When you see only what you want to see, that is pure paradolia.
ça va bien aller

Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 420Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: