Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Im Thinking This Is Lamination. What Do Y'all Think? (1936 D Cent)

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 485Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
38 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2022  7:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add newdude to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark / Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9203 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2022  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not so sure.
2 very straight lines connected by 2 very straight diagonal lines of equal length. the angles are what appears to be exact. Either something was scribed into this coin or pressed onto it.
very strange to say the least.
But I would expect to see lamination as ragged and uneven
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19692 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2022  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't be sure with these pictures.
It is possible that a shallow angle type of cut may? have produced what we see here, or, as you suggest, a lamination.
You really need a low power electron microscope examination of the questioned areas, to give a more definitive answer.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8548 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2022  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A closer-in photo taken at a slight angle would help our assessment. Tentatively, I'm thinking lamination, but can't be sure.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8845 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2022  12:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not so sure about a lamination, but could be. I'm thinking just post mint damage.
ša va bien aller

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58112 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2022  1:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If pushed outwards on the reverse, it was altered.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9203 Posts
United States
38 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  12:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add newdude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry for the pics, I'm working on finding a better camera

Pillar of the Community
United States
8845 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  12:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Newdude, most people here just use their cell phone's built in camera. Your pictures are fine, just work on lighting and focus and other camera skills.
ša va bien aller

United States
38 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  12:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add newdude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
363 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  09:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HGK3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed. Pretty obvious multiple lamination errors on the obverse.

Nice find.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8548 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  09:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Aye, lamination it is!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58112 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, lamination. The reverse near the 'C' on cent towards the 'E' on EPU is part of a die clash on that area. So it is not damage to the coin. (thanks for the extra images)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
38 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add newdude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9203 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1183 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dearborn, there are a lot of lams that are perfectly straight.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 485Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: