Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Does Anybody Know How Much Proofs Cost Ordered From The Mint In The Old Days?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 330Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
66 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  11:16 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add dunkleosteus430 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
For example, if I wanted to purchase a proof Liberty nickel in, maybe, 1898 or a proof Morgan dollar in, um, 1895, how much of a premium would I have to pay?

Looking to go back in my time machine. Gotta be prepared.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1121 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just remember that when you go back in time, you'll have to pay with coinage of that time period. No zincolns allowed, and no credit cards.

Also, I don't think the Mint actually sold proof coins to the general public back then; but I may be mistaken. I'm sure someone else here can give us the real scoop.
Edited by atticguy
06/21/2022 11:31 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1778 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  11:37 am  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not exactly sure either. I remember reading about how collectors could have just requested a proof to be made for them, or rarer examples set aside for them. Keep in mind, that was probably when there were just a handful big time collectors. Early to mid 19th century. I can't recall the source, so I could be mistaken.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17470 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  11:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Proof sets from the mint started at $1.89 then went to $2.10 .Then again to $5.00 . All depending on the dates which started in 1936 .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Edited by T-BOP
06/21/2022 11:47 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
521 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  11:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As mentioned, sets started in 1936. Issue prices are listed in the Red Book.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1778 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  11:53 am  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe the OP is asking more on the side of 19th century proofs. All "modern" proof sets 1936-date original purchase prices are listed in the RedBook.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2203 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  12:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I recall running across correspondence in the mint records from that era, something like $1.25 for a $1.00 proof - don't quote me on that - but the premium was very small.
Valued Member
United States
66 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dunkleosteus430 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think @kbbpll had the information I was looking for, but all responses are appreciated. And @atticguy, if I went back to 1895 with an AU Morgan dollar and an XF Seated Liberty quarter, for $1.25, and the coins cost me about $75, it would definitely be worth buying the 1895 Morgan
Valued Member
United States
188 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  4:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pmint1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah but for only the AU Morgan you could find a gem unc 1893-S and not worry about messing with the mint for a proof. Maybe for the 1804 it would be worth the hassle.
Pillar of the Community
United States
521 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Though not an answer to the OP's question, this article might be of interest: https://www.ngccoin.com/news/articl...proof-coins/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9203 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 330Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: