Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1897 Trade Dollar Value?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 658Next Topic
Page: of 2

Greece
9 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  09:36 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add coin_ops to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, I'm unfamiliar with value of coins so I'd like to ask for an estimate for this 1897 Trade dollar, is there anything special about it? Do the chop marks increase its value?

Thanks!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
68958 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  10:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll be curious to learn something here!

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3832 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  10:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF!

It's a British Trade dollar, probably struck in Bombay, but missing the B mintmark on the trident. There are a lot of counterfeits, but I don't see anything suspicious on this one. If genuine, it might be worth a couple hundred dollars in this condition. The chop marks don't affect the value much.
Greece
9 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  11:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin_ops to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wanted to see if it has anything that stands out in comparison to other same Trade dollars of the same series/year, if it's rare in any way.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3832 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  11:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The fact that it's missing a mintmark is less common, but probably not enough to affect value. I don't see anything else unusual.
Greece
9 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  11:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin_ops to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Alright thanks. Can you name an approximate price?
Learn More...
United States
113522 Posts
Greece
9 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  11:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin_ops to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks! :)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1370 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doesn't look right to me. I would suspect it not genuine until proven otherwise.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3832 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  5:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Doesn't look right to me. I would suspect it not genuine until proven otherwise.

Could you explain what you think is wrong with it? Here's the coin on PCGS coinfacts for comparison.

https://www.PCGS.com/valueview/trad...207415&h=pop
Greece
9 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin_ops to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please clarify what you mean, I'd like to know if it's genuine and its value.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1370 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I dislike giving some opinions just based on the pictures alone.
If I had the coin, I would first check the measures & weight and then test to see if it was coin silver.
Do you already know it is genuine?
And if so, just want to know value?
Or do you ask advice on authenticity?
Greece
9 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin_ops to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't know there existed counterfeits, I assume it's genuine.

I will check its measures and weight.

I want to know if it's authentic and its value.
Edited by coin_ops
06/22/2022 8:25 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
68958 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Surely this not a counterfeit, Albert!
Greece
9 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin_ops to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also have another coin I wanted to ask about, it's a Mexican real from 1893.
I will start another thread in a bit.
Edited by coin_ops
06/22/2022 8:25 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1370 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The OP assumed it is genuine, which may or may not be true.
I collect and study counterfeit coins, and I have this type.
I see areas of concern. I also see areas that look good.
I'm just saying it's worth the effort to verify if authentic or not.
If it turns out the weight and measures are good and if it is also good coin silver, the OP can then feel better instead of assuming.
I am biased based on some of what I see, so to that end, I'd suggest the OP confirms if genuine or not.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 658Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: