Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1876-S T$! Trade Dollar Type I O/Type I R

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 874Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
9085 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  6:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
$446. Coin has the more common T1 Obv and T1 Rev combo. Thoughts? Thanks!

IN NECESSARIIS UNITAS - IN DUBIIS LIBERTAS - IN OMNIBUS CARITAS
Highlights of my coin collection: https://coins.www.collectors-societ...aspx?s=31920
Help me optimize my photo setup: http://goccf.com/t/411871
Pillar of the Community
United States
1443 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do not see wear and as long as there are no hairlines hiding I'm thinking MS-63
The real tough one on this would be type 2 obverse and reverse with a large mint mark.
Lovely coin though
Pillar of the Community
United States
1443 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
446 sounds way to cheap though for how the pics appear .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2846 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From the photos, I also don't see evidence of wear. The only weak spot on the obverse is Liberty's left hand. Sharp strike, very few contact marks. If UNC, this looks like MS-64. If it's a slider, it's better than any UNC Trade I can remember.

Fantastic coin in every respect.
Edited by fortcollins
06/22/2022 6:59 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
9085 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll have to look in hand to see if it's been overdipped. The luster looks like it's there but looks muted. Won't be able to be sure from these pics.
Highlights of my coin collection: https://coins.www.collectors-societ...aspx?s=31920
Pillar of the Community
United States
1443 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even if dipped still a very nice coin for the money I think
Pillar of the Community
United States
9857 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks AU58 to me. It seems the right breast is worn ever so slightly.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2846 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@numismatic student, I don't think it's over-dipped. There is golden toning throughout the obverse, and especially in the SE quadrant. At that price, I'd keep this critter in a heartbeat. If it's a slider, it has much better eye appeal than any generic UNC Trade. JMHO.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
23914 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see any wear but the photo lighting is a bit bright to see the actual surfaces. MS?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3625 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

AU58 I agree with the dip as not original surface and photos showing no cartwheel luster.

Pillar of the Community
United States
5858 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice-looking Trade dollar. Generally solid strike, lack of contact marks, and apparent absence of wear suggest a choice MS grade, maybe MS-64. It's a $3000 coin in that grade and I expect it would be in a slab if problem-free. I suspect Slider23 is on the right track: a mint or near-mint piece with possibly altered surfaces.
Might still be worth submitting; it would be quite a score to get it into a problem-free MS slab.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12221 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2022  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
really cant tell how much luster is really there due to the lighting. definitely a higher end coin with very few flaws. if the luster is subdued as shone then MS63+ if its there MS64+

any way you get us a couple photos with the glare or what does the luster look like in hand? either way its a superb example

Quote:
Looks AU58 to me. It seems the right breast is worn ever so slightly.

BH1964 question. based on your comment I would expect see other wear on high points on both sides especially on the head. I'm confused that you would use just one small marker to call it AU. could it be cabinet rub?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
23914 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2022  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NS can you post new photos when it arrives?
Edited by IndianGoldEagle
06/23/2022 09:30 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3625 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2022  09:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would expect see other wear on high points on both sides especially on the head. I'm confused that you would use just one small marker to call it AU. could it be cabinet rub?

I am not as high on the coin as you are. The example shows circulation rub on Liberty's left knee, hand, eagles tip of wing and wear on the breast. It shows a light halo around the stars and letters. Is the halo from a light cleaning, light circulation or a dip? Stars #12 and #13 are flat and the wheat stack is not well defined.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9085 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2022  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
NS can you post new photos when it arrives?

of course.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9085 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  1:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, this wasn't what I expected but looks ok for what I paid. Thoughts? Thanks!

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 874Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: