Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1890 CC Morgan Dollar Opinions On Grade

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 595Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
121 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  11:20 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ae802000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone so I bought this on a whim because I didn't have any cc Morgan's. Looking for your opinions on the coin thanks.

Pillar of the Community
United States
6440 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  11:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU Details due to a light cleaning.

The scratch in front of Ms Liberty doesn't help.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9085 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2022  11:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
au53. could straight grade although westernsky has a point.
IN NECESSARIIS UNITAS - IN DUBIIS LIBERTAS - IN OMNIBUS CARITAS
Highlights of my coin collection: https://coins.www.collectors-societ...aspx?s=31920
Help me optimize my photo setup: http://goccf.com/t/411871
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
68959 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2022  08:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say AU-53 as well, probably straight, not a big fan.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12222 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2022  08:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
very weak strike for this year. there should not be that much wear on higher end AU coin around the ear and breast like we are seeing.

i dont think the scratch in front of the face is enough to details the coin and the coin has an overall flatness that could indicate an old dip. again I dont think its enough to details the coin.

not enough luster and a tad too much wear to make AU55 so I'm at AU53

Valued Member
United States
170 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2022  09:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ericgreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-53, most likely straight unless there is something we can't see in the photos
Bedrock of the Community
United States
23917 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2022  09:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-53 and straight grade. Surfaces look natural to me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3625 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2022  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
1761 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2022  09:40 am  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-53, not a bad looking coin!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1191 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2022  10:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ham1947 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd take a shot at AU53 also. Agree, not a fan.
Valued Member
United States
121 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2022  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ae802000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your opinions when I receive the coin I will post pictures. Sadly it is in a uscg slab. I knew it looked way less then the slab states. I was think au 53 as well
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2846 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2022  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is 1890-CC VAM-3. I agree, AU Details, with AU-53 as the technical grade.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6440 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2022  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The problem with this coin is that the obverse was lightly cleaned while they left the reverse alone. The toning around the devices on the reverse is attractive, creates eye appeal and expresses originality to these old eyes. If the obverse originally looked that way they made a huge mistake when they "wiped" it removing the toning and just made that scratch and hit on the nose just stand out more.

I stand by my original assessment of AU Details.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3625 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2022  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the coin was sent into PCGS or NGC, I would be surprised if the coin came back in a Details Cleaned holder. I am in the coin looks natural group.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1443 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2022  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am at AU-50 Straight Grade.
that scratch looks like A very light surface scratch
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2846 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2022  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at the other comments, was this a scan or a photo? Either a scan or a washed out photo can make a coin look cleaned, and a black background can do that to a silver coin.

Let me withdraw my details/cleaned comment until we see better pics.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 595Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: