Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1953-D Lincoln Need Help For Grading And Possibility Error

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 1,335Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Indonesia
102 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  09:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Solo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I try to reconstruct this, my curiousity make me try to reconstruct this.

Before, Mr. Dearborn ask me why I compare with 1968 Lincoln. And he was right. So I reconstruct this with 1963 Lincoln.

And let the image speak for it self.

i make overlay between 1953 Lincoln and 1963 Lincoln.
The reverse show the building pattern.

But i'll wait for you all to judge and examine the image above.

Thank you.
Solo
Valued Member
Indonesia
102 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  09:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Solo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with you Dearborn. it's shows doubled on lips. But the question is, why and how it's happened?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59663 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Note the strike looks weak on that one area. If it were die doubling, other parts of the strike would be affected the same. They are not affected. So it is just a Wheat cent. Note on your overlay area, where the motto differences are seen? They are not altered like that on your coin. So it is just a normal coin from what I can see. Not worth sending in for a slab as the coin is not showing anything like hub doubling. The fees for this service would out weigh any premium for this coin.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
69 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DaRukus660 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
Indonesia
102 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2022  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Solo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok Mr. Coop.

Thank you for your explaination. This mean we just ignore the mark on the lips, the mark under the 3, which is 'look like' 6 and the mark behind the Lincoln shoulder? Yes the doubling is too weak, of course if it's were die doubling.

However, thank you all for guide and teach me and being patience.
I go with you Mr. Coop, for not send it to grading service.

Case closed.

i'll start new topic next time.

Solo
Pillar of the Community
United States
713 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2022  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CentSation to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"I'm sorry, there's a lot of error in my grammar"

LOL, I was thinking the opposite.

You do better than most here [US] that have only been speaking the one language [English] their whole lives. I am impressed.

English is a difficult language. Your punctuation looks good and you know when to correctly use the word "too".
Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves -- Witch Hunt
Edited by CentSation
07/07/2022 5:20 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59663 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2022  5:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On only one doubled die I can think of has doubled lips on Abe:

But along with the hub doubling on the lips, the rest of the coin is showing very strong hub doubling of the other devices:

If your coin was a doubled die, then [i]all the other devices would also be affected[/]. They are not affected to that same extent.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1823 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2022  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see it too. But can't explain it. Maybe some kind of stain?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2171 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2022  11:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 11997755 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks to me like PMD. Looks like it took a hit, the tip of the nose is kind of flattened as well.
Valued Member
Indonesia
102 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2022  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Solo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But along with the hub doubling on the lips, the rest of the coin is showing very strong hub doubling of the other devices:

I got it Mr. Coop, thank you again. Although I am sure it was doubled, but I know mine is too weak for doubled. As the image I've posted before. The 'trust' slightly moved to the rim. Based on my overlay picture.
That's why the doubled on this Abe weak. In other words, we can say it nothing or just a bag marks.

Also the mark on the head and tail of '5' that I assume as '9' also the mark under '3' that I assume as '6'.

So, that's what makes me believe it was doubled.

I believe if it was struck over on the obverse, of course it will be affected on the reverse.
Yes, I haven't bring the overlay of the reverse yet. Because I want to make the obverse clear first before we go to the other topic. (reverse).

I know Mr. Coop, your image is very clear showing the doubled. No doubt. We all can see it.

With all my respect and salute to you Mr. Coop for your patience to explain it.

Stay health.

Solo

To be honest, most of my theory to identified coins is by make the overlay on the coins that's indicated 'doubled' or 'struck over' on other coins.

Of course I knew my theory is not enough to identify it. There's a lot of ways to identify it.

Valued Member
Indonesia
102 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2022  10:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Solo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I see it too. But can't explain it. Maybe some kind of stain?

Maybe yes Mr. Cujohn, or it just a bag mark?
Valued Member
Indonesia
102 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2022  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Solo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Looks to me like PMD. Looks like it took a hit, the tip of the nose is kind of flattened as well.

Yes, the tip on the nose look flattened Mr.11997755.
Valued Member
Indonesia
102 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2022  10:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Solo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
English is a difficult language. Your punctuation looks good and you know when to correctly use the word "too".

Truthfully, yes. Mr. CentSation. English is a difficult language.

I'd love to learn everything, something new, like numismatic, my new hobbies.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 1,335Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: