Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1893 Columbian Quarter Isabella

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 542Next Topic  

Israel
37 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  1:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Adiw to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What do you think is the grade for this one?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70349 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say EF details (cleaned) if genuine.
Edited by Coinfrog
06/27/2022 8:17 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3997 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  2:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just like the Columbian Expo half you posted, this coin has a remarkable amount of detail in the hair and other areas despite being obviously worn with no luster. Without an accurate weight, I'm not convinced of authenticity.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3137 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  2:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Concur.........
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19851 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to find these without some sort of cleaning.
Most of those folks who didn't know much about coin collecting in the first 40 years after they were issued
thought they were special (which is true), and thought they should be improved if they should be kept shiny, and so they were cleaned.

Which is a pity, as far as the modern collector is concerned.

Although a lot of the value is lost, I will still be perfectly happy to have an example (albeit cleaned), in my collection.
At least, I should be able to buy it at a lower price.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1305 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EF45, the reverse fore arm is almost flat as well as on various obverse features. The downside, it was cleaned. Still a pleasing specimen for an album.
ANA member - PAN Member - BCCS Member
There are no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10427 Posts
Learn More...
Australia
14508 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  10:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In another recent thread about "how to detect fake coins", the answer I gave is "experience". If you handle and closely examine lots of genuine coins, and fakes as well, a fake will just set off all kinds of alarm bells in your head as soon as you see it, most of the time without you even consciously realising why.

I've got a whole fleet of fire trucks cruising around behind my eyeballs right now. Sorry, this one's a fake.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19851 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  11:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like Sap is right;
It does have a rather 'pasty' appearance of a diecast fake.
Israel
37 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  11:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adiw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A few more photos

Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 542Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: