Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Large Cents (And Should I Send Them In To A Third Party Grader?)

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 866Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
77 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  8:47 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add t25135 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here are a few large cents that I purchased years back when I started getting back into coin collecting. Any thoughts on grades, negative aspects that would have them fall into the "details" category and whether or not I should bother sending them in to be slabbed would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Valued Member
United States
292 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1847bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't see them. Take photos one at a time and be sure to crop them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
761 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd love to see better pics obverse and reverse of each coin. Great early cents for sure!
Valued Member
United States
77 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t25135 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Trying to figure out how to take more appropriate pics lol. I took separate images of each coin and cropped them in my laptop but that just resulted in dropping the resolution. Let me try taking scans in the notes app of my iphone.
Valued Member
United States
77 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  9:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t25135 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure if this is an improvement at all but here are pics of the front and back of the '95. Let me know if this is any better and I'll take pics of the other two as well. Thanks!

Pillar of the Community
United States
2067 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1795 pictures are better than the first group photo, but still not spectacular.

Whether or not to send to a TPG, well it depends on what your plan for the coins are, and why you will be sending them in. First glance, they all seem to have problems, either corrosion or unnatural coloring.

My personal opinion, I wouldn't send these in if they were my coins. These are perfect album fillers. Great coins to hold in your hand without damaging them.
Valued Member
United States
77 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t25135 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is what I was leaning towards. Ultimately at the end of the day the goal is to have a problem free date set of large cents that are slabbed. That might be a long ways away however :p
Pillar of the Community
United States
3674 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  10:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have the coin at AG3 with some pitting, rim ding, light scratch and nice color. I am at 50/50 for a details or straight grade. Getting the coin in a TPG holder is not going to add value to off set the grading fees. If you sell it in a detail holder, it would hurt the resale. It is a nice coin for someone doing a low end album.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1217 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  12:56 am  Show Profile   Check Collects82's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Collects82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am also working on a similar concept of a low grade, problem free date set.

ANACS has been helpful for the few I've chosen to slab, I waited until they ran a promo that worked for me (it's been a while as they have been running an ASE deal since Nov, but I keep holding out hope for my recent early copper and Buffalo pickups.)
My hoard of '82s is up to 241! 218 BC x 1, 118 BC x 3, 18 BC x 1, 82 x 1, 182 x 1, 282 x 2, 382 x 1, 582 x 2, 682 x 1, 782 x 2, 882 x 1, 982 x 4, 1082 x 1 1182 x 8, 1282 x 2, 1382 x 1, 1482 x 6, 1582 x 13, 1682 x 17, 1782 x 60, 1882 x 68, 1982 x 45
Edited by Collects82
06/29/2022 3:04 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12576 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
tough call on the 95 if it would grade straight. my first thought is no. there is large X across the reverse. the dig on the right field and left rim also need to be considered

i'd like to see the other two especially the 98.
Valued Member
United States
77 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t25135 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are closer up pics of the 96 and 98.

Thanks!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70350 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pics still too dark to evaluate.
Valued Member
United States
77 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add t25135 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another try... At the very least this is good practice in the event I ever decide to sell any coins on eBay. I used a flash this time. I'm not sure how to improve the pics from being too dark besides that unless I mess with the settings for exposure, brightness etc.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70350 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A big help - these clearly suffer from environmental damage, and their identification by the experts will be interesting.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4312 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Should you send them in, expect ED and net grades, but paying the additional fee for getting die information/variety info may be well worth it -- there may be a diamond in the rough.
Valued Member
United States
172 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2022  11:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SpeedDemonND to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I couldn't see sending these in to be graded unless you're worried about their authenticity. Otherwise, these are great album fillers and I wouldn't mind having them in my collection. Good job getting these.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 866Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: