Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1911 China Empire Silver Dollar Dragon Coin. Thoughts?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 483Next Topic  
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  4:29 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add lawker1909 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My uncle was a coin collector, who worked in a coin shop in town, as he knew a lot about coins, mainly early copper. I have also been a coin collector of US dollars since 1982, ( I'm 68 now ), but have limited knowledge on coins of China. When my uncle passed away, among all his coins, we found this one. Many things make me believe it could be real, but there are a few things that make me doubt. So, I present it to you members to see what you think and why.

Please explain why your opinion. Thank you.

1911 China Empire Silver Dollar Dragon Coin Y-31 L&M-37 Extra Flame, No dot.
Weight: 26.8grams
Diameter: 39mm

Here are the images for you to decide..

Edited by lawker1909
07/02/2022 5:30 pm
Learn More...
United States
24267 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@law, first welcome to CCF. Second, if this has been in your possession for decades, then I'm less concerned about a modern counterfeit. As a first step, I would perform a specific gravity test to see if it is silver.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
United States
346 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks good to me! Nice coin and doesn't appear to be a fake.
Pillar of the Community
546 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numister to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have bought and seen fakes of these type. And the fakes are really good, they also tend to have the similar dirt / stain patterns as the 1st 2 pics.
Valued Member
United States
346 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are indeed lots of fakes.
Here are some examples of an ebay seller who's been selling fake Chinese coins for some time with impunity:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1253797485...ECIFICS_AVIP
https://www.ebay.com/itm/275357584547
Excellent fakes (and way underpriced if they were authentic), but they tend not to have the natural nicks that happens to coins that have circulate and they have a minty freshness so they look like they were made yesterday (and indeed they might have been!).
Pillar of the Community
546 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numister to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sort of agree on the nicks but nicks can be easily added.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
890 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slerk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm always afraid of Chinese coins. Recently, their prices have been rising. I do not know why, perhaps because there are many more Chinese collectors than anyone else. I have no knowledge of confirmations or refutations of authenticity.
They all seem to me to be fakes. I'm not talking about Tibetan coins anymore, it's just darkness. Tibetan silver is something incomprehensible, the coinage there is not at the highest level, and what you consider a fake may turn out to be genuine, and vice versa.
Valued Member
United States
346 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  11:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captainmandrake1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I was a rich man, I wouldn't dibby dubby dum...I'd collect Chinese classic coins! ; )

160K realized for Dragon & Phoenix
20-30K expected for Ci Xi fantasy.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1403 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  12:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My usual is to weigh & measure to compare to the standard. Study it under magnification and then check if it has has diamagnetic properties.
If it does not, it is suspect and I go down the fake route on my worksheet.
If it does, then I check SG and go down the possible genuine route.
Learn More...
United States
114935 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 483Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: