Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1959 D With Extra Partial 9

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 402Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
123 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  4:51 pm Show Profile   Check GaryVanWa's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add GaryVanWa to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm posting 1st and will start looking for attributions next. I just looked at a lot of Wexler photos yesterday and don't remember seeing anything about the partial doubled 9. And if there is D/D also on this one, it is very slight ... but I have yet to check for possibilities.

Pillar of the Community
United States
9130 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Part of the 9 has taken a blow. Post mint damage. No extra value.
ša va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1557 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is weird, but just damage.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70422 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, metal moved in a most unusual way by a circulation hit.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
123 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Check GaryVanWa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GaryVanWa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1st: I am certainly not the expert here.

With that said, I can kind of understand how a circ hit could possibly roll up the metal, like pushing a cloth and making folds in the material.

But, in the 2nd or middle photo, does anyone else see what looks to me like 2 faint "9 tails" on the inside of the curve of the nine, just opposite and to the left of the bright scrape half way down the 9?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70422 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  6:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin exhibits Die Deterioration Doubling - it might be that, or perhaps additional circulation damage, or even a combination of the two.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
123 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Check GaryVanWa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GaryVanWa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a great read when I clicked and read the link you posted Coinfrog. Thanks. Great info!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10452 Posts
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
123 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  6:41 pm  Show Profile   Check GaryVanWa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GaryVanWa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That seems like the only logical reason Dearborn. At first sight, I thought perhaps the flat scraped area above the "wrinkles" was a place where some had cleaned or scraped the die and somehow pushed part of the 9 out of place. But I guess a scrape and some wrinkling of metal just below the scrape seems the likely explanation. Fun stuff though!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45853 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  04:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Isn't DDD only attributed to zincolns?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2038 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  08:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Isn't DDD only attributed to zincolns?
John1
LINK https://www.error-ref.com/die-deter...ling-raised/
-makecents-
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2038 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  08:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice pics, GaryVanWa. I marked up one of yours with what I think you have going on.

-makecents-
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45853 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  08:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the link.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2038 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  08:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thank you for the link.
John1
Yes sir.
-makecents-
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
123 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Check GaryVanWa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GaryVanWa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the detailed input. Here are additional pics and on further inspection, I think there may be MD on Abe's chin also.

Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 402Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: