Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

An Acid Burn? 1980 Roosevelt Dime. Never Seen Something Like This.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 558Next Topic  

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  5:40 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add weasel_spit to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, I'm new to this forum so if this is the wrong place to be, my apologies.

Has anyone seen something like this. If so, what could it be.

There is no damage on the back from it being smashed, hit forcefully, or with a blunt strike.

Thank you in advance.

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70470 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Acid or heat, I'm guessing.

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10467 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
9004 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm seeing heat damage.

A moderator will be along to move this topic to its proper location.
Learn More...
United States
24278 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  6:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Done.

I'm on team heat for this one.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Learn More...
Australia
14521 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Moved it for you.

I would reckon acid damage over heat; the bubbling and particularly the pitting is what I would expect from acid. Maybe it's a "Coca-cola coin".

Though I would also expect acid to eat away at the copper on the rim, leaving a "spool" shaped cross-section; I'm not really seeing that from what I can see of the rim in these pics.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2890 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with SAP, after heat the acid was come on action. The Ni is affected like this be mid strong acid. I never test the Coca-Cola on coins except to clean the calcium.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1566 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF and heat damage.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
66 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  9:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DaRukus660 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

looks so weird.

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19868 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not all is lost; it's still worth two undamaged nickels!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3499 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  11:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

The pitting looks like acid corrosion and the bubble looks more like heat damage. This coin makes me think of "The Phantom of the Opera!"
ANA ID: 3203813 - CONECA ID: N-5637

Clothes Dryers are the Coin's natural enemy. NEVER store your coin collection in a dryer. This has been a Yokozuna Public Service Announcement. dryer coin
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45885 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2022  04:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Heat and or acid, either way it is PMD. Maybe weight would help. Also, if acid the copper on the edge most times will be eaten away.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
115001 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
9130 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2022  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That bubble is from heat damage of some sort. How/why? Who knows unless you were present when it happened. Doesn't really matter as damage is damage, post mint damage here.
ça va bien aller

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2022  7:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add weasel_spit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone. I really do appreciate all the responses and guidance.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58903 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2022  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The way to tell the difference?
Weight:
Acid reduces the weight
Heat leave the weight normal but show bubbles on the coins:

Surface affected:
On non clad planchets the metal is pushed and distorted on the surface of the coin:

CoopHome: How can you tell the difference between acid dipped coins and heat affected coins? Weight
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 558Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: