Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Another 1959 D D/D ?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 643Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
124 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  5:56 pm Show Profile   Check GaryVanWa's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add GaryVanWa to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
As I continue through my partial rolls of 1959 D cents, I found what I think is another D/D. The attribution is challenging, for me at least. I looked at all the CopperCoins possibilities and I think it is one of the D/D Tilted options. But whether it is an 015, 022, 026, 030, 032, 039, 070, or 076 ..... well I'm just not sure. The differences are too subtle for my minimally experienced eyes. For sake of discussion and comment, I'll go with 1mm - 030 . Wexler and other cross references don't show matching examples to compare.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2979 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add levelsofmadnes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
after how the RPM looks, the second thing you need to look at is the POSITION of the RPM in relationship to the date.

and so, no way is this 1mm-030.

1mm-030: the position for the mintmark is lower then yours.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
124 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  6:09 pm  Show Profile   Check GaryVanWa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GaryVanWa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ahhhh...thanks Levels! Back to the drawing board.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2979 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add levelsofmadnes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1mm-076

this is what it looks like to me..

looks like there is a die gouge between the R in TRUST and the hair.

also, the die crack on the lower bust.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2979 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add levelsofmadnes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
let me rephrase it...

by the shape and position of the RPM, it looks like 1mm-076

also, there is a matching die crack on the lower bust and a die gouge under the R in TRUST.

Learn More...
United States
24278 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@gary, just a head's up that I deleted the poll aspect of this thread—no need to employ that as we will all just freely give our opinions.

With regard to your cent, those do look like split serifs so I think you are right that it is a RPM. Not sure which one, but @lom is right that it is the shape and the position that need to be taken into account.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
124 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Check GaryVanWa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GaryVanWa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Spence. I wasn't sure when or why to use the poll function so thanks for the adjustment.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
124 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  6:23 pm  Show Profile   Check GaryVanWa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GaryVanWa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So are you guys saying that for the 076 , the "matching die crack on the lower bust and a die gouge under the R in TRUST." will be a common aspect of that particular variety or die? Something that I would expect to see on all 076's? Or am I missing the point here?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
66 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DaRukus660 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

love it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2979 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add levelsofmadnes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, GaryVanWa

all 1mm-076 will all have the same shaped RPM and same position in relationship to the date.

also, they will all have the same die markers providing that the stage of the die is the same. so die markers may even come and go from die state to die state only to sometimes reappear in later die states.

i am still a novice and maybe someone with more experience can chime in.

good luck on future finds
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10471 Posts
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
124 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Check GaryVanWa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GaryVanWa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Levels, Thanks Dearborn, Thanks everyone. Looks like I need to do a lot more reading on dies, die markers and deeper details of RPM's attribution, etc.,etc. I haven't even gotten into all the other varieties Wexler mentions...OMM, RPD, IMM, OVD...geez, will I live long enough to learn most of this? :-)

@Dearborn I was thinking of changing MY avatar so maybe you should wait. :-)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2038 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
GaryVanWa, here is how I try to attribute RPM's and it cuts my time way down. I can usually find it in a matter of minutes. I use all three major sites, VV, cc and Wexler and occasionally Brian's Varieties, depending on what variety I'm looking for. I'll put the links below, in case you don't have them. I always start with VV though and have taken a screen shot, with your date/mm, to show you how I do it. Pull up their site and see how they have their date/mm angled and framed, then do yours the same way. Down size your pic over top of the the site and start looking at the mm location to the date compared to listings. You will be able to narrow it down in much less time. The other sites, cc and Wexler, will have cross references between the three to also compare.
Hope this helps you.

VV http://www.varietyvista.com/
cc https://coppercoins.com/
Wexler https://doubleddie.com/1801.html
Brian's Varieties https://www2.briansvarietycoins.com//

-makecents-
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
124 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Check GaryVanWa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GaryVanWa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome -makecents_,

I'll work on putting this technique to use next time I find a candidate.

Gary
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2038 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add -makecents- to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Everyone has to find their own way but this might help. Maybe some others have input on how they go about it.
-makecents-
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2890 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2022  8:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Me I go by angles and direction lines. Very interesting Makecents in his way, and seem to work. About this coin I will agree seem to be 1-076 by the photo.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 643Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.54 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: