Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Postal Savings Certificate

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 481Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
103 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2022  08:56 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Skippy Topaz to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Saw a one dollar version of this Postal Savings Certificate at a Flea Market yesterday (this image is from the web, I couldn't get a good picture of the one I saw because it was in a glass case and obscured by some other items) .. the one I saw didn't appear to be issued as there was no dates stamped on the right side..

Anyway.. I had never seen one before and was curious if it falls under the category of Currency or Bonds etc since it sort of looks like a dollar bill

Pillar of the Community
United States
3812 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2022  10:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. I have a friend on a different forum that's an expert on Postal Notes. I messaged him with a link to this thread. I'll let you know what he thinks when he answers my message.
Pillar of the Community
United States
704 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2022  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lettow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are more in the nature of a bond in that they are interest bearing instruments that are not transferable nor negotiable.

They have no monetary value any longer even to the holder. The post office ended the program in the late 1960s and sometime in the 1980s and there was a deadline to redeem them.

There are many different series starting with the Series of 1911.

Here is a ling to a well-illustrated pdf of the different varieties.

https://www.rfrajola.com/Liebson1/Liebson1.pdf
Pillar of the Community
United States
3812 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2022  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Jim.
My friend messaged me letting me know that his research on postal notes concludes with notes issued through December 31st 1900.

Member Lettow's answer/comment is on point.
Learn More...
United States
116290 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2022  12:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice!

Quote:
They are more in the nature of a bond in that they are interest bearing instruments that are not transferable nor negotiable.
I am assuming that is true, so this topic was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
Valued Member
United States
103 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2022  2:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Skippy Topaz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool, thanks for all the info :)
Pillar of the Community
United States
704 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2022  11:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lettow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
10+ years on this site and I still cannot figure out how to quote another post.

Quite frankly, it will get more attention in the paper money category. Checks, bonds, etc. gets little traffic.
Learn More...
United States
116290 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
10+ years on this site and I still cannot figure out how to quote another post.
How to Quote

If you are using the Quick Reply box...

1. Type [quote]

2. Paste the text you want to quote

3. Then type [/quote]

If you are using the Reply to Topic link...
1. Paste the text you want to quote

2. Highlight it

3. Then press the 'Insert Quote' button:

So this...

[quote]Quoted Text[/quote]

Looks like this...

Quote:
Quoted Text
Learn More...
United States
116290 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  09:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Quite frankly, it will get more attention in the paper money category. Checks, bonds, etc. gets little traffic.
But it is not what it is, no?

I will move it back to get more comments from the paper currency regulars to chime in if it belongs there or not.
Pillar of the Community
United States
704 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lettow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I opposed the separate category for stocks, bonds, etc. for this very reason. Esoteric items get buried in a category with little traffic.

Thank you for the quoting tutorial. Every other discussion board I use has a quote button on each post.
Learn More...
United States
116290 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  11:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thank you for the quoting tutorial.
You are welcome!

Quote:
Every other discussion board I use has a quote button on each post.
We made it a little bit more difficult to prevent abuse. Those other discussion boards also allow multiple nested quotes which are too difficult to read and why I am not active on them anymore.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 481Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: