Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Can You Tell A Coin Has Been Cleaned?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 340Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
600 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  10:06 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I wouldn't be surprised if this post is moved somewhere, but it would be a shame since this is the area of the CCF that it really pertains to. But it's about the grading. We've all been frustrated sometimes when we see a coin in a holder from PCGS or NGC that says cleaned, or details ............. and you look at the coin and you're thinking where, where is the cleaning, what made it details, and there is no explanation. Well the way I see it is that when you submit a coin here for the CCF community to grade and comment on, and you get a comment like details, or cleaned, or even AU55 or 53 or whatever, and that's all ............... well that's no different than PCGS saying details. It's frustrating, it really is to see a submission called something without an explanation. Nobody that is trying to improve their grading skills will learn a thing if the grade or designation isn't accompanied with an explanation as to why you called it something. Sort of like taking your car to a mechanic because it won't start and he tells you it's broken and he'll fix it for $400 dollars. Just what are you paying to have fixed. Well here at CCF, just what makes it details or 55? That little comment may mean, at least in your eyes, that a particular coin is worth a few hundred dollars less than a coin that grades higher or grades at all, isn't that worth an explanation? Well that's my rant this morning ....................

*** Edited by Staff to clarify topic title. ***
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12532 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  10:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
if there is no doubt a coin was cleaned or something that would details the coin such as damage there probably is no need to state the obvious. for other coins where its not so discernable for myself I try to point it out as do some others. you are always going to get those who mimic the responses of others. if you want a more detailed explanation just ask. you'll get one. as for a TPG there is not enough space on a slab to give a detailed of their decision.
Learn More...
United States
39174 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  10:31 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The ability to tell if a coin has been cleaned comes with years of observations. Grading companies have the added benefit of having the coin in hand and microscopes.
Show your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
See what CCF members have for sale (click here)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17744 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  10:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most of us do give a reason for a details call and an AU-55 over an MS coin . With TPG most will give questionable color , cleaned , whizzed , improperly cleaned , etc.

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8894 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  10:35 am  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Plus there's always the option to ask questions here. If you see someone tag a coin as details just ask them why. I know I wouldn't and anyone else here wouldn't, have any issue explaining our thought process if asked, but it's just a little much to expect us to preemptively do so on every post we tag as details. As for TPGs they are already way to backed up as it is, could you imagine how much worse things would be timeline wise if they were expected to provide an explanation on every coin they saw?
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
United States
600 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  10:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Panzaldi said ...............
Quote:
if there is no doubt a coin was cleaned or something that would details the coin such as damage there probably is no need to state the obvious.
Sure, I'll agree with some certain damage might be obvious, but not everyone here is a top notch grader, and isn't that at least part of the point of submitting coins here for review and grading? What might be obvious to you isn't necessarily obvious to the person submitting the coin, especially if they are still trying to perfect their grading abilities.

I understand, and believe me, I as well as most folks that submit a coin here are grateful that anyone even looks at the coin and takes the time to make a comment, but if at least part of the reason of submitting a coin is to learn, then those that don't explain why they called a coin a certain grade or condition aren't helping the less sure of themselves to learn anything.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3986 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  11:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most of the time people do explain why they feel a coin is detailed, whether it's harshly cleaned, polished, overdipped, scratched, corroded, etc. But when a coin just looks like it's had a past cleaning, sometimes it's not easy to explain without writing a paragraph. If multiple people say a coin looks cleaned, that seems pretty good feedback to someone who can examine the coin in hand and compare with other coins to gain experience.
Valued Member
Germany
141 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HP2001PH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OT: I think that a cleaned coin is not always such a catastrophe anyway. Sure, there are horribly scratched or grossly polished examples that are just plain ugly.

But sometimes its not so bad. It can be still a very beautiful coin if it has been carefully cleaned.
Pillar of the Community
United States
688 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It all depends on how fast and well you are at learning.

Some people get it in a short period of time, others never.

You need to develop your eye.

There is no hard fast rule for this.

Dedicate your time and educate yourself.

A lot of people are self taught, unless you're going to pay for grading classes.

Pattern Recognition is where the key is.
Edited by NumismaticsFTW
08/05/2022 6:29 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4658 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  11:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For coins with no hairlines, a telltale sign is if there is a lot of tarnish accumulation around the devices but very white surfaces elsewhere. Usually signals that a circulated coin has been dipped which can result in a details grade. Dipping is usually market acceptable for UNC coins, but discouraged.
Edited by fenton
08/06/2022 11:35 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 340Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: