Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Coin That Started It All For Me.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 397Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
8863 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  6:11 pm Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is my own special coin, it's not really worth anything beyond a cent, it's damaged, but it's special to me...

This is the coin that started me to collect. My Dad gave this to me out of his change, don't even know why he looked at his change after buying something at our local hardware store way back in the early 1970's. I do remember him giving me this Lincoln cent though, he never collected coins nor had any interest in them other than what they might be worth.

I wasn't a collector until a few years later but I did save unusual looking coins, mostly Canadian cents and nickles when I came across them, more of a hoarder than a real collector. My collecting start began with a purchase of a Coinage magazine up in the mountains to read on the drive home from a ski trip. I next ordered a bag of wheat pennies from a "Jake's Coin & Stamp shop" advertisement in the magazine, I think it was a four pound bag. Got some 2x2 flips and started to sort them out and put them into holders.

Within six months I was working for the local coin shop after school, and had joined the local club in Denver, Colorado, joined the ANA, won a YN Scholarship to go to the Summer Seminar, started selling coins at local shows with my own bourse table, began traveling to out of state shows via airplane, all before I was out of high school!
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, Early American Coppers Member (EAC) #6202, Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), Conder Token Collector Club (CTCC), & Numismatic Bibliomania Society (NBS) Member, 2ó variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
United States
2015 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Impressive work as a youngster, and a great coin to hold with sentimental value. Thank you for sharing your story!

Did you continue your career as a coin dealer, or did you veer off into another profession?
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheColorofMoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin and story. Thanks.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3438 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great story! I really like it! It made me think back through my coins.

Thanks for sharing!

Should I add the story of my first coin to this topic or start my own thread?
ANA Member ID: 3203813 - CONECA Member ID: N-5637
"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Pillar of the Community
United States
8863 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2022  10:57 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Did you continue your career as a coin dealer, or did you veer off into another profession?

Looking back I should have stayed in the coin business, as my partner, made millions and started a grading company my other coin buddy back in my early days has a library named for him now the ANA "Dwight Manley" Library. Oh well.

I got my degree in music and production, worked for some of the top musicians in the world, traveled all over, then became a photographer and worked with Jewel, shot some Formula 1 and lots of gymnastics. After that I sold telescopes and became one of the top telescope salespeople in the world. Now I work with animals and do research on coins for various companies, auction firms and for fun. Never did get rich or famous, but I'm okay with that.

Quote:
Should I add the story of my first coin to this topic or start my own thread?

I think adding your stories here would be fine, I'd love to keep all of these interesting tales together, the title I made suits the thread "The coin that started it all..." feel free to add one coin that started your quest in collecting and a brief story. I know I'd enjoy reading a lot of them from you all.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, Early American Coppers Member (EAC) #6202, Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), Conder Token Collector Club (CTCC), & Numismatic Bibliomania Society (NBS) Member, 2ó variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45726 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  05:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That was a nice read. Make sure to put that coin along with a short letter in a safe place for future family members to know the story behind the coin.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1030 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  07:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This was my first thread read of the day...it's going to stay with me all day.
Thanks for the nice story!
smat
Pillar of the Community
United States
8913 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  08:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good story. My 'started it all' coin was found in a ceramic piggy bank many decades ago. Ended up paying for a school lunch, but the image of it stuck with me--got me going
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20716 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Possibly many have a first coin story. For me it was similar to yours. My Dad gave me a coin and I too started a coin collection.
just carl
Learn More...
United States
114715 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fantastic story!

Not unlike my own origin.. the two Ikes from my father.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 397Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: