Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Australian Crowns 1937 And 1938 For Grading Please

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 383Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
385 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2022  7:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I thought these would be EF but would appreciate an experienced eye for an opinion. Grading is not my strong suit.

Thanks in advance. tt

The Ox moves slowly, but the Earth is patient.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20040 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  04:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The detail of the orb bands on top of the crown is the most sensitive and exposed to wear location.

If you want a 'crown' coin, there cannot be anything more obvious.
Edited by sel_69l
08/11/2022 07:57 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
385 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you want a 'crown' coin, there cannot be anything more obvious

Sorry, call me slow off the mark, but am I missing something here? More obvious than what?
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
385 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  12:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just re-read what you posted. So the bands on the orb of the crown get worn off first and this is an indication of wear. Sorry I had a senior moment.
The 1938 seems to show more wear on that spot than the 1937, so wear (pun intended) does that leave my two examples, grade-wise?
EF and aEF (is that a grade?)
Edited by ttkoo
08/12/2022 12:25 am
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
4329 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  01:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very light wear on the orbs and Lis, but generally a good pair. Both are genuine.
My grades

1937 - High AU
1938 - Bare AU (Light rubbing on George's cheek).

Nice pair!

I love COINS!!!
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
385 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  04:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Princetane, much appreciated.
I'm gradually getting an understanding of the grades.
Each denomination has it's own rules and it's own wear indicators.
(speaking of worn coins, did you get my pm?)

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
4329 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  04:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did, but decided to pass on it. Those are rare dates and I need to splash out for them fairly and squarely.

I love COINS!!!
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
385 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  05:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All good, hope you get some nice ones.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  11:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do see the wear on the '38 reverse/orbs...the obverse has that cheekbone nick...the'37 looks great except for the obverse mark at 7K...is that toning? From American standards I would say the '38 is AU-58...'37 MS...I'm not seeing the wear on the '37.

KK
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
385 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Curiously, in hand, the 38 is by far the most appealing coin, well to me anyway.
Perhaps my lighting has played tricks as the brightness fades on the right side of the image field.
If I get some time later today I'll take separate shots of each and post them.
Thanks for all of the input on these.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 383Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: