Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canada 1952 S$1 (Ms, Not Pl), You Versus NGC

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 966Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  1:25 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TheColorofMoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
1952 S$1
NGC Mint State (not PL)

NOTE: If you know or discover the grade of this coin, I respectfully request that you do not divulge it here.

Edited by TheColorofMoney
08/14/2022 1:29 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4452 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Small amount of wear on the cheek and trees. Many marks/digs on the cheek. I'd say 62 max, but NGC probably says 65 or something else out of whack.
Canada
19 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  3:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hunter1343 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Strong 66, maybe even a 67"
(POV: you work as an NGC grader)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1352 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
64 maybe 65
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
71521 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll go 65 on this. Most attractive!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see much eye appeal in this coin...the toning is uneven and disrupted in spots...nicks...MS-62.

KK
Pillar of the Community
Canada
789 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2022  10:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tripoli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-64....the coin has a very nice strike.
Valued Member
Canada
74 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  08:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dapperd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd agree at MS63 - 64. Do see some light nicks / scratches. Technical grade aside, I find this coin unattractive. Oxidization/ toning in this case steals any eye appeal.....Curious to see the verdict !
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1239 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2022  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say MS-65
Bedrock of the Community
United States
25226 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2022  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lots of small marks, MS-64.
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  05:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheColorofMoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NGC MS 66

The party selling this coin pressed really, really hard that it wasn't just any MS66, that it was a very strong MS66+.

I disagree. (I'd much rather have the white coin shown below - there was some back-and-forth that it might have been dipped as there is a white haze and a few white spots.)

What I see on the toned coin are MS64 surfaces and then toning, and then slapped with a net grade of MS66. This is a NGC\PCGS grading trend that I see with toned Canadian coins over-and-over. This is particularly true of George VI and Elizabeth II Canadian coinage.

What I find distracting is that the toning high-lights all the field marks - as opposed to minimizing or hiding them.

NOTE: This coin was snapped-up quickly from the inventory in which I found it, so there is demand for these toned, overgraded Canadian coins. The grade on the holder is more important than the coin.

Compare the above NGC MS66 to this one - also NGC certified MS66 but completely white (if you ask me, there is no comparison - the toned one is an over-graded MS64, while the blast white one is a true MS66). If the toned one had that color removed, nobody would accept it as an MS66.

Edited by TheColorofMoney
08/17/2022 07:19 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  08:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I disagree. (I'd much rather have the white coin shown below...

I agree with you.

KK
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2420 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add doubleeagle59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just to add.....

ICCS would not even grade that a 65.

I'd buy it as a 64.
Valued Member
United States
127 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  08:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheColorofMoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just to add.....

ICCS would not even grade that a 65.

I'd buy it as a 64.

Which one are you referring to - the toned one or the white one?

Bedrock of the Community
United States
25226 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's why they say buy the coin and not the holder. Looks like they gave it an extra couple grades for the tone.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
843 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2022  03:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was at 64 - mostly because of the strike which is stellar even though the eye appeal is on the low side.

The dollars are difficult. They're so big and heavy that it's hard to put them in a bag and move them about without some serious surface damage. As for the toning, I don't believe for a second that the white coin hasn't been dipped. The toning on coin #1 is not beautiful but it looks like what happens to silver over time. The question then, is where one comes down on dipping and a natural vs cosmetic look. Personally, I'm agnostic.

Arguing ICCS vs NGC vs PCGS is pointless - buy the coin, not the....
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 966Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.17 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: